Phantasy Star III's Dark Force

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Phantasy Star III's Dark Force

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 2, '07, 9:24 pm

In PSIII, we are told that the Dark Force in that game left Algo on the same ships as the Palman refugees. However, no one really says where it came from before that. What do you believe the origin of this Dark Force is? Do you think it is the same Dark Force Rolf fought in PSII? Did another one escape the seal after Palma fell? Maybe there is more to the story? Please, share your opinion with us! :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 3, '07, 12:44 am

I've tried to follow the line that the DF Rolf slew was actually the end of the life of the PSIII DF.... trying to stick with the idea of the Aron PSIII ending involving time-travel, with the Earthmen bringing the PSIII DF back to Algo on-board Noah, but that's a convoluted mess, and I don't believe in time travel! But that requires the birth of the DF which Rolf slew to be the DF that gets on the ships in PSIII; a paradox. :blank:

Now, my opinion is that the DF on Noah is the PSII 1,000 year manifestation, and another DF was released at the destruction of Palma and went after all those PSIII worldships.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 5, '07, 9:08 pm

I like the time travel concept, but you described it perfectly when you said "convoluted mess." The way it invalidates the other endings makes it a real headache. I much prefer the interpretation of a second DF escaping.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 6, '07, 1:50 am

There are so many attempts to silly-string the games together after the fact. The compendium is laughable at times... I don't know why they couldn't just admit that they never thought they'd make a sequel! (Cough! "Earthmen in Algo???" Cough!)
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Re: Phantasy Star III's Dark Force

Postby Zio_Falz » Mon Oct 7, '13, 2:30 am

I think the PS3 DF looks most like the PSO DF. And hey, who is to say they never crash landed on Ragol?
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 12, '14, 12:47 pm

Just before giving my opinion, I would like to say that among all the different Dark Forces (or Falz or Phallus etc...;) ) this one is, graphicaly speaking, at my number one rank of all the DF :) I love so much his representation.. :clap:

Then : For me this Dark Force cannot be the same than the one fought by Rolf and his "crew members" : first because after the fight, this DF is surely sort of "exhausted" (but in fact we never really know if DF is always the same or if there is multiple Dark Forces than could have been escaping the weaknesses of the seal : hard to tell ! Even with the compendium or the different sources).
And second, maybe there could have been two dark Forces ? Or more ? Hard to tell ecavtly are we aren't really helped by some flaws in the episodes..
I need to take a better look at other things about it to extend my point of view (especially the different PSIII's endings!) but I'll take a look soon.

But without these flaws ..it's possible to speak and debate about it so that is indeed great :) Lie some people have said, it's hard and maybe we'll never know the "truth" behind this but it will continue to make us all guess about it :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Hukos » Sun Jan 12, '14, 6:01 pm

The thing about DF in PSIII is that you get a contradiction no matter how you interpret it.

If it's the DF that Rolf fought, then Dark Force should be dead and unable to to pick apart the pilgrim ships.

If it isn't the one from PSII, where did it come from? It takes 1000 years for another DF to appear, so that makes no sense. Yeah, Palma was blown up which weakened the seal but I highly doubt that the PD could instantly crap out another Dark Force fast enough for it to start destroying the pilgrim ships.

And then you have DF at the end of PSIII who by all rights shouldn't exist, seeing as the PD is already dead at that point.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 12, '14, 6:29 pm

HUKOS : You're right so anybody is bound to choose the explanation that seems to fit the "better" and we know then that there is no perfect explanation ! An open problem with no answers but plenty of room to debate :)
EDIT : Concerning what you just said : "And then you have DF at the end of PSIII who by all rights shouldn't exist, seeing as the PD is already dead at that point." true because in Japanese Timeline Phantasy Star III takes place 1000 years after PSIV in AW 3384 (and then the Layan/Orakian war takes place aproximately during PSIV events, near AW 2284).
Last edited by myau56 on Sun Jan 12, '14, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Jan 13, '14, 1:20 am

More like all the PSIV Dark Forces and Profound Darkness are in contradiction with the rest of the series.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Mon Jan 13, '14, 10:45 am

tilinelson2 wrote:More like all the PSIV Dark Forces and Profound Darkness are in contradiction with the rest of the series.

Right and then...this discussion will never ends ! :D But that is cool to try to have a point of view on it and I'm sure tht there is many games where there is some flaws in the scenarion : and as Phantasy Star is a game that have a (certain) continuity through the episodes...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III