Endeavour's last flight

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Endeavour's last flight

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue May 31, '11, 7:10 pm

The space shuttle Endeavour will soon land from space bringing an end to her final flight in space. She will then be retired as the space shuttle Discovery was retired some months ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... titialskip

I never thought I would say this, but I'm going to miss seeing those space shuttles take off and land. They have become such a part of our culture over the years. It's hard to believe they have been around for so long.

I also find it hard to believe they are being retired when the USA doesn't really have anything ready to take their place. It looks like as of now if we want to go to space for any reason, we will probably have to get a ride with some other Country or Nation. :blank:

Comments or Opinions??

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Endeavour's last flight

Postby Bragatyr » Tue May 31, '11, 8:51 pm

It's definitely a pretty sad milestone. I understand it, on some level, just for monetary reasons, but it's always sad to see such an exciting aspect of human exploration lose steam like this.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: Endeavour's last flight

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 1, '11, 4:00 am

Maybe the next generation of Americans will be interested in returning to the stars. I've read that NASA is considering or planning a manned Mars trip, so maybe that will respark the adventurous spirit that led us into space in the first place.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation