End game party dream team? (Spoilers) and my nightmare.

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re: End game party dream team? (Spoilers) and my nightmare.

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Nov 17, '14, 9:28 pm

So you min/max and I pick the characters I like. Whatever floats our respective boat.

Zio_Falz wrote:Games like Shining Force have too many people to even think about caring for. ---by design.

Blame it on my inadequate English but, I have no idea what you just said!

By the way, I enjoy your posts and our really interesting exchanges. We seem to disagree on a lot but I really like how you present your ideas and discuss mine. Keep it up!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Zio_Falz » Mon Nov 17, '14, 11:42 pm

Aeroprism wrote:So you min/max and I pick the characters I like. Whatever floats our respective boat.

Zio_Falz wrote:Games like Shining Force have too many people to even think about caring for. ---by design.

Blame it on my inadequate English but, I have no idea what you just said!

By the way, I enjoy your posts and our really interesting exchanges. We seem to disagree on a lot but I really like how you present your ideas and discuss mine. Keep it up!

Min/max. I suppose its the cold detached metalness of strategy. Although I wonder if I even enjoyed the games in the first place with that kind of tactic.

I mean games like Shining Force, Suikoden, Chrono Cross etc, you cant recall half of your own team's names----and theyre designed that way. So its impossible to like them. They're practically NPC's. Then again, thats the concept of war anyway. Dehumanizing the enemy and even your own cadre of troops so you can advance at a cost.

Yes I enjoy a good debate. Most topics dont have a clear right or wrong, so I always must ask "well, why not?"

I enjoy your musical endeavors as well. I hope you dont mind I ripped them and threw them in the lengthy Phantasy Star section my iPod is devoted to. You are the artist given credit for taking 80's FM synth into sweeping scores and trance.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Nov 17, '14, 11:55 pm

Zio_Falz wrote:I mean games like Shining Force, Suikoden, Chrono Cross etc, you cant recall half of your own team's names----and theyre designed that way.

I haven't played CC and Suikoden but I guarantee you I can name all SF and SF2 characters by heart and tell you exactly what I think of every of them ;-)

Then again I have a monstrous memory for trivial details.

Zio_Falz wrote:I enjoy your musical endeavors as well. I hope you dont mind I ripped them and threw them in the lengthy Phantasy Star section my iPod is devoted to. You are the artist given credit for taking 80's FM synth into sweeping scores and trance.

Thank you! My music is there to be used, glad you enjoy it to the fullest!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Zio_Falz » Tue Nov 18, '14, 12:23 am

Aeroprism wrote:I haven't played CC and Suikoden but I guarantee you I can name all SF and SF2 characters by heart and tell you exactly what I think of every of them ;-)

Yes i can also, sadly enough. Only because it bothered me so much that the default for the NAMES were in capital letters. So I would go through and rename them as proper grammar.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Zio_Falz » Tue Nov 18, '14, 1:38 am

When I play chess, I dont relish using the Queen because she is pretty. She is the means to an end. So I treat my strategy rpgs that way too. and also to my less strategical rpgs, it seems.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby R-90-2 » Tue Nov 18, '14, 2:12 am

Parma Ham wrote:
Zio_Falz wrote:When I play chess, I dont relish using the Queen because she is pretty. She is the means to an end. So I treat my strategy rpgs that way too. and also to my less strategical rpgs, it seems.

That's a very good point. There's just one catch: you can't level up in chess. :wink:

Actually, you can level up pawns, but it's very difficult to do.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Nov 18, '14, 2:47 am

Also: chess is not a RPG. Chess is maths applied to strategy through faceless figures that have titles because it's easier for reference.

Though I understand your approach, Zio_Falz, the comparison is just silly.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Zio_Falz » Tue Nov 18, '14, 2:58 am

Aeroprism wrote:Also: chess is not a RPG. Chess is maths applied to strategy through faceless figures that have titles because it's easier for reference.

Though I understand your approach, Zio_Falz, the comparison is just silly.

dude, you did play shining force 2. wherein-which there is a battle, on a chess board, against the evil minions of Creed's miniature chess desk-top kingdom.

when i first played that battle, i was thrilled they included the obvious analogy of chess to a strategy rpg.
chess is the original rpg strategy game.
from long ago, like before xbox and sony.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Nov 18, '14, 1:04 pm

SILLY I SAID!!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Icecypher » Tue Nov 25, '14, 7:58 am

Zio_Falz wrote:you do bring up interesting points of "liking" the characters you place on your team. my younger brother and i had this discussion once. he will put chars on the team if they look or act cool, neat moves, funny, etc, regardless of any real use.
so i asked him why, honestly perplexed and not patronizing, and he said "because i like them." i replied, "What does that have to do with anything?" and then awkward silence. oh well...

This is how Huey/Hugh stayed in my PS2 party even when there were nothing but robots to fight. :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star IV