End Bosses

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

End Bosses

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 8, '09, 7:12 pm

Out of all the games you have played, who were the easiest and hardest end game bosses in your opinion?

The easiest I would say is Bellum in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. He's not very difficult at all, aside from learning the proper way to draw certain symbols with the DS stylus.

The hardest, IMO, is Sin Tzu in Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu. It's a beat-em up game, but the boss can only be defeated by using combo attacks that are very hard to pull off.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Thu Jan 8, '09, 7:38 pm

The easiest would have to be Miktran/Kronos in Tales of Destiny (PSX version), Just spam Satsugeki Bukouken and Bloody Rose and the battle will be over in about a minute and a half if you connect enough times. The poor guy won't even get to move.

Hell its really hard to tell about the hardest one, considering i've improved on my gaming over the years. The hardest one I can think of would have to be Luther in Star Ocean: Til the end of Time. If you're a bit underlevelled and he gets you off guard by using one of his almost whole field attacks he can do mp damage like crazy which will kill you very fast. With a limit of 999 mp (I think?) and if he gets lucky he'll do about 70-200 mp damage which will kill you in about 3 seconds, all the while you're massive amounts of HP haven't been dropped.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jan 9, '09, 2:16 am

Easiest? Hmmm...I may say Drek in the first Ratchet and Clank. If you have the RYNO, he's a gonor.

Hardest...that's a much tougher call. I may actually have to say the Masked Man (Claus) in Mother 3. Why? Because you're actually NOT supposed to fight him. And if the player does not figure this out...well, you're going to have a tough time with him. Really, that fight is hard because it's more of a game of survival and the player might not figure that out right away.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jan 9, '09, 5:25 am

I'll have to get back to you on the hard one as I don't recall at the moment... but I suppose for easiest I would have to say Dr. Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Lucas » Fri Jan 9, '09, 11:26 am

The easiest boss for me would have to be Bowser in the original Super Mario Bros. Just jump over him and onto the switch and he falls through bridge easy enough. :wink:

The hardest boss for me would be Phobos Rigas from Xenosaga Episode II he becomes available after you be the game and man I still can't beat him.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Fri Jan 9, '09, 6:08 pm

The easiest for me would have to be Dulk Falkis in PSU. I expected something nasty out of him and I finished him off faster than the first boss, lol

The hardest for me would have to be Necrosaro on the DS remake of DQIV. I've beaten this game silly so many times on the NES that I figured he would be a walk in the park and he slaughtered me so bad that Rome burning to the ground was just a walk in the park. I literally stared at the screen for a good 5 min in disbelief. Thankfully I've since beaten him but I underestimated that boss terribly.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Snorb » Sat Jan 10, '09, 6:34 am

This Guy's an Endguy?!: Bacterion Commander from Gradius Galaxies- it pretty much just floats there waiting patiently for you to kill it. It doesn't fight back.

Easy: Chaos from Final Fantasy I Advance- The fight consisted entirely of Red Mage and Black Mage casting Haste, then Temper on my Warrior, and my White Mage casting Healaga every round. This is as close to "blatantly unfair in my favor" as I can get.

Medium Difficulty: Lavos Core from Chrono Trigger- First two forms weren't so bad, the third form with its ever shifting defense was. This is only "medium" because I had the ever-gamebreaking combo of Crono's Rainbow Katana (70% critical hit rate?! Highest attack power a katana can have?! SOLD) and a Wrath Armband (80% chance of counterattacking any enemy action that affects its wearer, including Lavos's temporal shifts?! DOUBLE SOLD) And yes, I know the DS release has the even more broken Dreamseeker Katana with its 90% critical hit rate.

Kinda Difficult: SABATO from Trauma Center: Under the Knife- For the record, there's a 2000 polygon limit on what the DS can draw on screen. The minibugs SABATO produces evidently don't count as polygons, so I had to keep alternating between scalpel slashing, bug lasering, wound suturing, and lidocaine injecting in order to finally kill this mother@$#%er. (On an unrelated note, shaddup, Chrome, I know how to spell lidocaine.)

You've Got to be Kidding: Cycloid Emperor from Duke Nukem 3D- I don't want to say this is a hard fight, but let's just say the all guns cheat code gave it some pretense of fairness.

AAAARRRRRRGGGH!: The entire Orbital Battle Platform from Zone 66- The whole damn stage. The fastest, most maneuverable fighters in the game, armed with machine guns? Check. Machine gun turrets? Check. Twin missile turrets? Check. Only three friendly landing pads? Check. The whole. Damn. Stage.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Schala Zeal » Fri Jan 16, '09, 4:26 pm

Easiest end boss: The final version of Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia GBA. I just spammed Swallow Dance. XD
Hardest end boss: For me, it was =Rayman 2's final boss. He wasn't exactly that hard, now that I look back. I just had a really hard time trying to not land in the lava.

Hmm... I can't really remember how most final bosses are, now that I try and think of it. :? Hooray for having a bad memory!
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Tue Feb 3, '09, 11:45 pm

I agree Schala Zeal. Dhaos from TOP was a joke. Once you cornered him there was nothing he could do. However, the easiest boss I can remember was the final boss in Children of Mana for DS. He was so easy that I can't even remember his name. I'd say I finished him off in under 20 seconds and I was not over leveled at all.

As for the hardest, I'd say Indalecio with the limiter off from Star Ocean the 2nd Story. I've never played this game, but Indalecio being incredibly hard is often mentioned when these topics arise. I've heard that even with your characters maxed out you have something like a 5% chance of beating him. Most of it boils down to luck.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Wed Feb 4, '09, 12:05 am

Ewwwww Indalecio. He made me start over with a different party, lol! I think the other bosses that I found hard was Ruby and Emerald Weapon in Final Fantasy 7. C'mon, 1 mil HP for one and over 2 mil for the other!
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Next

Return to Tech and Design