ELVIS

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

ELVIS

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Aug 16, '07, 4:09 pm

ELVIS

"The King Of Rock & Roll"

January 08, 1935 - August 16, 1977

This thread is for remembering a legend, Elvis, the proclaimed "King Of Rock & Roll", on today the 30th anniversary of his death. Even in death, Elvis continues to make an impact on so many lives with his music, movies, and in so many other ways.

So let's share some of our Elvis memories, favorite movies, favorite music, and other facts here in this thread as we remember and honor him today.

What is your favorite Elvis Song or Songs?

What is your favorite Elvis Movie?

Did you ever see Elvis in person at a concert or other event?

Have you seen Elvis' appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, or his TV Special in the 1960's, or his "Aloha From Hawaii" televised event?

Have you ever been to Elvis' home, Graceland?

- Opinions and comments welcome from everyone! - :)

[/center]
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Snorb » Thu Aug 16, '07, 4:39 pm

Because I hear them all the time at work (not to mention owning the Blues Brothers soundtrack), my favorite Elvis songs are "Jailhouse Rock," "Hound Dog," and "Blue Suede Shoes." "Love Me Tender" and "Heartbreak Hotel" are also really good songs. (Memo to self: Pick up Elvis CD at work, along with Elton John 1972-2002.)

I've never seen any of his movies, though we do sell them at work- GI Blues, Girls! Girls! Girls!, King Creole, along with a few others whose names elude me. x_X

Being born in 1984, seeing Elvis Live! In Concert! would be a bit difficult for me. However, I did see The King singing "Hound Dog" on Ed Sullivan, his infamous "waist-up" appearance on the same show, and parts of two other specials: Welcome Home, Elvis (with Frank Sinatra dueting Blue Suede Shoes! ^_^) and the Elvis Comeback Special from Las Vegas. Yay for taking a '60s music course in college!

Have never been to Graceland T_T

Interesting trivia: Some company made a game back in '92 for Win 3.11 involving you going through space to find Elvis. Pretty bizarre. Oh, and there was also Les Manley in Search of THE KING, which was a Sierra-like game.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 17, '07, 12:20 am

I was just a baby when he died, so I never saw him in person. I've seen a few of the movies, concerts, and appearances that have been rebroadcast over the years. Usually I don't watch them from beginning to end, but I see bits and pieces here and there.

I suppose my favorite song would be Jailhouse Rock, but it's really been so long since I heard any of his songs, from start to finish, that I barely remember them.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 2:04 am

Snorb, those were very interesting trivia mentions you gave regarding those video games and Elvis. I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. :) They both sound sort of interesting.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 2:13 am

As for myself, I love all of Elvis songs but I guess my favorite would be "Jailhouse Rock" or "Love Me Tender" or "Follow That Dream" or any of his gospel songs. They are all winners in my book.

My favorite Elvis movie would probably be "Jailhouse Rock" or "Blue Hawaii", I guess. Love almost all his movies too. :)

I never saw Elvis in person, although he did do a concert in our state once, that I know of, although I wasn't able to go.

I have never been to Graceland, but have seen various programs about it on Tv. Anyone see the program on CNN the other night on Larry King Live with Priscilla Presley and she showed Elvis around Graceland????

I have seen on TV the various Elvis appearances on Ed Sullivan show, the '68 comeback special, and "Aloha From Hawaii" - all wonderful shows.

Another Elvis Note: Elvis won several Grammy Awards but they were for his gospel songs or albums, and not Rock and Roll! :king:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Atolm » Fri Aug 17, '07, 4:55 am

I will be honest. I have yet to hear any of his songs, with the exception of some song remixes. Never the actual thing.

I think I would like to hear the songs one day.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 4:44 pm

Atolm, when you do hear some Elvis songs, let us know what you think of them, and if you like them, and what you think of Elvis voice, style of singing, etc. I'd like to know how others feel about him. :)

Another Elvis Note: Elvis had a twin brother who died at birth, or as an infant?
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Divine Dragon » Fri Aug 17, '07, 6:31 pm

Elvis was never allowed to travel over to Britain, because his agent was an illegal immigrant so wouldn't be allowed back into America if he left..

But anyway, in my opinion, he isn't all that great.

I think all great artists write their own songs, which Elvis did not.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Snorb » Fri Aug 17, '07, 10:38 pm

Secret_Surfer wrote:Another Elvis Note: Elvis had a twin brother who died at birth, or as an infant?

His twin brother died at birth- the brother we all know and love is Elvis Aaron Presley. The twin brother? Aaron Elvis Presley.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Atolm » Fri Aug 17, '07, 10:51 pm

I'll be sure to let you know if I ever do hear a song. I am sure I will.

I am pretty picky when it comes to music, and most of the time, the music I like do not fall into the mainstream category.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Next

Return to Tootin' Tunes