Elestones coming to TV...

Sports, movies, music, TV, and other forms of fun.

Elestones coming to TV...

Postby Rylen » Fri Jul 11, '14, 11:50 pm

terrybrooks.net/2014/07/mtv-officially- ... ra-series/

This could be a good thing. I'm hopeful. But cautious.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Re: Elestones coming to TV...

Postby jessie » Sat Jul 12, '14, 2:18 am

I like the books, but I wonder why they are starting with the Elfstones and not The Sword of Shannara?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 39

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 12, '14, 2:28 am

This is terrific news. I hope they do the books justice. If Mr. Brooks is involved in any way then perhaps they will. That is a good question Jessie. It would seem like they would start with the beginning, so to speak. Only problem I have with this is that we do not get MTV. So, we wouldn't be able to see it unless there is some way to see it online or something like that. Or perhaps it will go quickly to DVD. I have been reading the Shannara series of books and still have so many more to go. Right now I'm still reading "The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rylen » Sat Jul 12, '14, 9:07 pm

I think they started with Elfstones because that has more female characters in it. Much more involved story. I'm currently working on the books that bridge Word and Void with Shannara. After that I'll jump back to books post Heritage.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 13, '14, 6:28 pm

I was kind of worried when I heard this was going to be on MTV. But, from the article, I see there are some good minds behind this series, so my worries are mostly gone. I just hope they have it to watch online, 'cause I dropped cable years ago.

As for starting with Elfstones, it has a lot more to offer than Sword - more female characters as Rylen said (plus they are central to the story, rather than just love interest of a side character), a more emotionally touching story, and also important: it doesn't strike up comparisons to Lord of the Rings. I love Sword, don't get me wrong, but it has waaaaay too parallels to LotR. Starting the live action adaptation of Shannara with Sword will only hurt the franchise at this point by tainting it with LotR comparisons. Hopefully the key backstory elements Sword established can be handled in the Elfstones episodes and Sword can be told in a later season.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rylen » Mon Jul 14, '14, 4:41 pm

I think Elfstones and Wishsong would make great TV shows. (So long as they did it in a limited run like Babylon 5's 5 season limit).

Another set of books that I would love to see is Word and Void. That would be fun to see adapted into TV. So long as they kept the core of the story intact.

Which brings me to my next worry. I really hope these guys don't change too much with the over all plot. The ending to Elfstones is at best bitter sweet. Don't like radical changes that don't make sense. But we shall see.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Return to Entertainment