Educational Gaming Systems

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Educational Gaming Systems

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 8, '10, 7:40 am

Mobile gaming seems very popular these days. Although some of these gaming systems, etc., may be for ages younger than some of us here on this forum, we probably all have relatives, friends, or acquaintances that may be interested in these types of gaming, etc. Video game playing seems to be popular with all age groups and we all started playing games somewhere in some form or fashion. The Mobigo is a new educational gaming system for ages 3 to 8:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ ... bigo_N.htm

I think this is a terrific idea! :yes:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Educational Gaming Systems

Postby hugues » Mon Sep 27, '10, 3:25 am

I also think they're a good idea but unfortunately they tend to lose support very quickly. There will be a few good games at first but not much beyond that.

I have a Sega Pico that I bought really cheap a while ago. For those unfamiliar, it's an educational system made by Sega in the mid-90s. Hardware wise, it seems to be a Genesis with a touchpad instead of a controller. My oldest daughter really got into it for a little while so I tracked down every game I could find for it. All in all, it only came to about 10 games.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 27, '10, 9:38 pm

Yeah, I've forgotten how many of these I've seen fade into obscurity over the years. While I applaud the effort of making games that can teach children, these little independent systems lack the developer support that is important to keep a system going. The creators would have better luck if they focused on making educational games for one of the existing consoles or handhelds.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby vontrapp » Fri Oct 8, '10, 11:01 am

Very much like the Leapfrog products that are released with some promising stuff and promises of more to come, then they release a whole new product and forget completely about the previous products :(
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Flames of Yagami » Tue Oct 12, '10, 2:00 am

Too bad kids today probably won't get to see that goofy Mario head from Mario Teaches Typing 2, what a weird game that was, the head was probably the best part
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Return to Tech and Design