King of Fighters 2002 UM XBLA release date announced

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

King of Fighters 2002 UM XBLA release date announced

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sat Oct 16, '10, 6:45 pm

After a long wait, KOF 2002 UM is finally getting a western release. It will be released on November 3rd and cost 800 Microsoft Points.

http://m.kotaku.com/5664675/the-king-of ... next-month

As a KOF fan, I'm definitely hyped, but I'm kinda disappointed that we're not getting the PS2 version (or a PSN release cause all we have there is *cough* the horrible PSX port of KOF 99 *cough*)
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Re: King of Fighters 2002 UM XBLA release date announced

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 16, '10, 11:33 pm

It sounds like they went all out in updating this one, too. New characters, moves, and so on? That'll get lots of people to buy it. It should be fun to play.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Oct 17, '10, 12:52 am

Thoul wrote:It sounds like they went all out in updating this one, too. New characters, moves, and so on? That'll get lots of people to buy it. It should be fun to play.

They did replace 1 character though: K9999 was replaced with a new character called Nameless. They both have similar moves but I do prefer Nameless's design. If this includes the original 2002 also, then I don't see why K9999 hasn't been taken out of that.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Sun Oct 17, '10, 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Lucas » Mon Oct 18, '10, 7:53 am

Yeah it looks alright this KOF release, definitely something I'd like to get my hands on. I never played the original KOF 2002 but I was told Neowave was quite a similar game which I happen to own. However this version looks far superior to both.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 18, '10, 8:52 pm

That's interesting about the character being replaced. I wonder why they did that? I'm not familiar with K9999, but it's quite unusual for a character to be completely replaced in a remake/re-release of a title like that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Oct 18, '10, 9:01 pm

Thoul wrote:That's interesting about the character being replaced. I wonder why they did that? I'm not familiar with K9999, but it's quite unusual for a character to be completely replaced in a remake/re-release of a title like that.

I'm not to sure myself. I think it's because he looks like a character from Akira and SNK's afraid of a lawsuit (let me know if I'm wrong on that). I've also heard that SNK simply doesn't like him. I personally don't think it's much of a loss as I was never a fan of K9999 anyway.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sat Oct 30, '10, 3:51 am

Good news, guys! SNK has randomly released KOF2002UM a week early! I've already downloaded it, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

EDIT: online play doesn't work, you'll have to wait till next week. Single play modes work fine though
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Sat Oct 30, '10, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Nov 28, '10, 5:53 am

For anyone who wants to buy KOF 2002 UM on XBLA, don't do it. It suffers from the same problems that the XBLA version of KOF 98 UM had, that is, many features from the PS2 version are absent in the XBLA version: it lacks 3D backgrounds, the art gallery, the original KOF 2002, and worst of all, NO COLOR EDIT MODE!!! (I absolutely loved this feature in previous KOFs and I really hope it's in the console version of KOF XIII)

So with that said, you should definitely get the PS2 version if you're considering playing this game. The only problem with that is that it's a Japanese exclusive.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Sun Nov 28, '10, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Lucas » Sun Nov 28, '10, 9:35 am

Besides the no colour edit feature and art gallery, would you say the game itself plays alright? I'm still interested getting in this. :hmm:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Nov 28, '10, 6:16 pm

Lucas wrote:Besides the no colour edit feature and art gallery, would you say the game itself plays alright? I'm still interested getting in this. :hmm:

Yep the game is still plays pretty good despite the missing features. Unfortunately, I haven't tried an online match, but I have heard that it's not as good as it could've been.

Anyway all I'm saying is that if it's possible for you to play the PS2 version then that's the way to go. Still, the XBLA version is okay, and it's only 800 MS Points, which is a great deal now that I think about it :D
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Return to General Gaming