EarthBound

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: EarthBound

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Oct 7, '10, 4:28 pm

xellos667 wrote:using a glitch with candies if my memory is right about it. I remember my HP being so high, that it was weird symbol appearing.

Take a look at the screenshot I posted above and look at Ness's HP and PP. I love that trick. No reason for me not to do it since I was trying to get all the rare items. Ness's max HP in that save game is over 2000! :o

xellos667 wrote:Because of Earthbound, everytime I see a final scene in a game where everyone in the world join their heart and thought to power-up the hero/team, I always thought of this game. Unfortunately, most of the time, others games do it seriously, while Earthbound it was just satire, so most of the time, it's not as epic as Earthbound.

Funny how a game that is mostly satire manages to out-epic many games that came after it. Not just in this but also a lot of things. ;)

xellos667 wrote:Also unfortunately, since I was not a big emulator guy, I never played Mother 1 and 3 to completion. Which is a big shame I admit.

They're both well worth a play through, I hope you finish them someday. :)

xellos667 wrote:On a small funny last note, in Smash Brothers, I was the official Mr. Saturn protector. While everyone where trying to throw them away when one appeared on stage, I was always the one who grabbed one, and holding on to him, while trying to avoid the hit of others, so he can stay unharmed

I sometimes do the same thing. Othertimes I throw them at my opponent(s) just because I think the sound they make is funny. Those stupid things are indestructible! And naturally, I play Ness the most.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Oct 7, '10, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby xellos667 » Thu Oct 7, '10, 4:37 pm

About the whole "satire" final battle, even our own series did it just recently with Phantasy Star Portable 2. I won't spoil anything, in case some people don't want to ruin themselve the mediocre story of PS:P2, but let's just say that in the end, they still all join their heart and thought to power-up "something" so stupid...I can't even mention it without laughing. Problem is, they take themselves very seriously in PS:P2, which was quite a sad sight. And during all this time, all I could think of was Earthbound, and how this was the only time I enjoyed one of those "everyone togheter" scene. Earthbound >>>>>> everything when it comes to this kind of scene.

And to continue with others things totally worth nothing with Earthbound, it was so awesome to see the ennemies run away from you when you were too strong, and at one point, you're not even entering battle mode anymore, you just kill them on the spot, still gaining the XP and all. No other games did it! And it was such a good feeling chasing scared hippies to rid them from the face of the earth!!! Ah, such good memories :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Oct 7, '10, 8:05 pm

xellos667 wrote:Earthbound >>>>>> everything when it comes to this kind of scene.

Having never played PSP2, I can't comment on much else. But I'll just pretend I know enough to agree with the last sentence. EarthBound being my favorite game, no way I'm biased! However, they do a serious 'everyone together' sort of thing at the end of Okami (my second favorite game) and it works well there. Probably because you're playing as a Goddess and everyone prays at the end.

xellos667 wrote:And to continue with others things totally worth nothing with Earthbound, it was so awesome to see the ennemies run away from you when you were too strong, and at one point, you're not even entering battle mode anymore, you just kill them on the spot, still gaining the XP and all. No other games did it! And it was such a good feeling chasing scared hippies to rid them from the face of the earth!!! Ah, such good memories :)

Those two features are great things. Now when I try to play RPGs that DON'T have these features (such as PSIV) I see how much I love it. Random encounters feel so boring when compared to enemy sprites being visible. And having to go through every fight, even ones that are a foregone conclusion, feels like a waste of time. And those features are incredibly helpful to 1/128 item crazies like me!
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Oct 7, '10, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Previous

Return to Retro Roundup