EarthBound

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: EarthBound

Postby MrKite » Sun Sep 26, '10, 7:18 pm

My younger brother rented EarthBound back in 1996 once. It used to crack the both of us up! I didn't play it ever again until 2006 I remember.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Sep 28, '10, 10:54 pm

Neat! Did you finish it?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 29, '10, 8:31 pm

So, I was just wondering, about how long would it take one to play this game to the finish? Is it one of those games that can be finished rather quickly, say in one day perhaps, or will it require a lot more time.

Anyone remember how long it took you to beat the final boss of this game?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 29, '10, 10:55 pm

It probably takes about 20 hours to complete (give or take 5 depending on various factors). As for the final boss...that depends on how long it takes you to figure out the secret to beating him. Or maybe I should say, how long it takes you to feel totally helpless and desperate so you do the only thing you can do...and it's totally brilliant...

No, I will not explain what I mean. :twisted:
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Sep 29, '10, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Oct 1, '10, 2:19 am

Personal EarthBound news:

For over a year now, I have been trying to get all the 1/128 item drops in the game. Today, at 9:16 PM EST, I FINISHED MY QUEST!!! Jeff stole a Gutsy Bat off a Bionic Kraken. :happy_marle:

Yes, I'm crazy. :silly:
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri Oct 1, '10, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Oakley2284 » Fri Oct 1, '10, 2:23 am

Good job CW, That really cool =D :clap:
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 7, '10, 3:05 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:It probably takes about 20 hours to complete (give or take 5 depending on various factors). As for the final boss...that depends on how long it takes you to figure out the secret to beating him. Or maybe I should say, how long it takes you to feel totally helpless and desperate so you do the only thing you can do...and it's totally brilliant...

No, I will not explain what I mean. :twisted:

Oh okay, that's not too bad in length of time, etc. :yes: I might try it sometime. I've been the route of feeling totally helpless and desperate in other games, so this one should feel quite normal. :wink: Hmmm, this does stir my curiousity up about the game. Thanks, CW! :)

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 7, '10, 3:06 pm

Congratulations on your accomplishment, CW! Fantastic! :clap:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Oct 7, '10, 3:57 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I've been the route of feeling totally helpless and desperate in other games, so this one should feel quite normal. :wink: Hmmm, this does stir my curiousity up about the game. Thanks, CW! :)

Yeah, but this game intentionally tries to make you feel that during the final boss. It's part of the point. ;) Glad it makes you curious. you're welcome!

Wolf Bird

Postby xellos667 » Thu Oct 7, '10, 4:24 pm

Earthbound was one of the "must play" experience for the SNES RPG, right along chrono trigger and final fantasy III (VI) IMHO. I remember having played the heck out of it, boosting to the maximum, and above using a glitch with candies if my memory is right about it. I remember my HP being so high, that it was weird symbol appearing.

Because of Earthbound, everytime I see a final scene in a game where everyone in the world join their heart and thought to power-up the hero/team, I always thought of this game. Unfortunately, most of the time, others games do it seriously, while Earthbound it was just satire, so most of the time, it's not as epic as Earthbound.

Also unfortunately, since I was not a big emulator guy, I never played Mother 1 and 3 to completion. Which is a big shame I admit.

On a small funny last note, in Smash Brothers, I was the official Mr. Saturn protector. While everyone where trying to throw them away when one appeared on stage, I was always the one who grabbed one, and holding on to him, while trying to avoid the hit of others, so he can stay unharmed

EDIT: Also, the fact that you could name thing such as your dog name, favorite thing and food at the beginning of the game could lead to some really awkward but totally funny situation :)
Last edited by xellos667 on Thu Oct 7, '10, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup