DrkTr14ce's Movie Reviews

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Re: DrkTr14ce's Movie Reviews

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 2:03 am

First off, I'm not a fan of 3-D stuff either.

Second, that was a great review of "Despicable Me". It actually made me want to see the movie, and I had already written it off.

Looking forward to more reviews. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sun Jul 11, '10, 4:34 am

Thanks for the support, guys.

I could use some more movie ideas.

So far the only two films I REALLY want to see are:
The Expendables (It's Stallone. And Arnie. In the same movie.)
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (By the guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Plus it looks Epic.)
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 11, '10, 9:41 pm

I actually have no idea what's coming up in terms of films, other than Expendables. That one has a packed cast with nearly every action movie star worth mentioning.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 13, '10, 7:25 pm

Yeah, I am really looking forward to "The Expendables" also. I wish they would make some more action movies like this. Anyone know if Jean Claude Van Damme (I think that's how you spell his name, lol) has done anything lately?????? I miss Chuck Norris too.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Jul 13, '10, 7:40 pm

Well, from what I was told, the director actually wanted both of them for this movie, but for some reason both actors turned it down. Personally, if they managed to get Van Damme AND Chuck Norris....this movie could be retched as far as story and action but still go down as one of the greatest action movies of all time.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 13, '10, 8:02 pm

DrkTr14ce wrote:Well, from what I was told, the director actually wanted both of them for this movie, but for some reason both actors turned it down. Personally, if they managed to get Van Damme AND Chuck Norris....this movie could be retched as far as story and action but still go down as one of the greatest action movies of all time.

Oh wow, really, I wonder why they both turned it down? Sounds like an awesome opportunity to me.....and I'll bet the fans would have loved it, I know I would have. :hyper: I totally agree, it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time. :yes: Well, it still could be....we just have to wait and see. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Jul 13, '10, 8:04 pm

(Looks online.) In other news, they're so far claiming some bad overall sales this summer.

Doesn't help that the only major hits so far have been Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, and....(Sudders.) Eclipse.

Also, someone online tried to claim that Toy Story 3 was sexist. <.<

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sun Jul 18, '10, 4:36 am

Preview Review #2:

Dinner for Schmucks:
While funny, I'm starting to think that Steve Carrell needs a role change. I mean, if you look back, he's done pretty much the same style of character for a while now.
Do a Robin Williams. (Williams did the Suspense movie One Hour Photo.)

Charlie St. Cloud:
Eh....I don't know which Genre this kind falls under. Kid loses his brother, hallucinates that he's there, meets a girl who brings back his confidence and happiness. And it stars Zac Efron.

You know, when he said he was moving onto more "Mature" films, I kind of figured he'd try something OTHER than a movie in which women would ogle him. I'm just saying. <.<

Tron Legacy:
I.....REALLY don't know what to say. Is it supposed to be a Remake? A Sequel? A Prequel? Seriously, Disney, CLUE ME IN. Other than that, it looks sub-par. And maybe it's because I (sort of) grew up with Tron, I don't care for the sleek, Apple look they're going for.

Due Date:
Again, I don't know what to say. It's by the Producers of The Hangover, a movie I never saw. And this....just looks over the top silly. Which wouldn't be a bad thing it if was actually funny.

The Town:
I have nothing on this. I really don't. The trailer confused me. Search it for yourselves.

That's all for Preview Review.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby DrkTr14ce » Mon Jul 19, '10, 10:08 pm

Movie Review #3: Inception (R)
Leonardo Di Caprio, Michael Caine

Let me point this out right away: Chances are you will walk away from this movie slightly confused as to what you just watched. Or maybe it was just me since I missed bits while trying to scribble this stuff down. >.>

Plot: Hoo boy, do we have a confusing one here. Di Caprio's character (And a group of men) are what they call Extractors. Their job, for the right price of course, is to use a powerful yet not overly explained mind serum and a machine to "transport" themselves into a person's mind to gather hidden information or secrets. An account number for an off-shore bank, for example. It's explained that it's possible to manipulate dreams either though thoughts (Trick the person into thinking something.) or even manipulate the world around them. However, it's explained that this upsets the populace of this world, projections made by the person's mind, and doing it enough will cause them to attack you. A violent enough jolt in there or in the real wold will knock you out of it.

Let's keep the real plot short. Di Caprio and his men are hired to go into a dream within a dream within a dream (Seriously.) to plant a message in a man's brain to split up his father's company (which he's due to inherit).

The first half of the movie is basically Leonardo getting a team together, some explaining over how they do it, and pointing out that Leo is pretty messed up in the head thanks to his wife's death. Oh, and the drugs. Because remember, drugs are bad.

The second half of the movie is the actual job. But this is where things get confusing. The movie keeps swapping between The real world, the first dream world, the second one, and the third one. And because of this, it can be really hard to follow everything that's going on. the only way this could've been alleviated is if Christopher Nolan and his writing team stuck to one area.

6.5/10

Graphics: These are honestly the best CG I've ever seen in a non-animated film. Let me ruin more of the film. Remember when I said the Dream thing could be manipulated? It's demonstrated at one point in which the city they're in literally folds over onto itself. And it's marvelous. Stunning, even. And there's a bit where they walk onto a street that, in Reality, would've been more of a wall. Bloody brilliant.

10/10

Entertainment:
Overall, I was impressed. The plot, aside from the last hour or so, was fairly good. It would've been nice if it had explained more. And focused less on Leonardo. Seriously, I know he's famous and all, but you're got Michael Caine in your movie. Use him for more than just two scenes, guys! Or the other characters, I would've preferred to know more on them.

The fighting and chase scenes wern't too spetacular, but there's a notable one shown in the trailers. Where's there's no gravity and the guys are still trying to fight. Kind of cool.

Also, I hate Slow-Mo in my movies now.

Oh, and the Music. I think it's the same guy Nolan used for the recent Batman movies. Pick a new guy, or make him tone it down a bit. At times the stuff was too loud to enjoy.

And a man pulled a Grenade pin out with his teeth. This isn't the 90's, guys, we're aware of how improbable that maneuver is.

8/10

Overall: 8/10

I know it got a high score, but I don't think it's really worth the ticket price this time around. Wait for it to go on Rental, or something.

Unless you qualify for the following:
- You're a large fan of confusing films
- You love Leonardo Di Caprio
- You're a sucker for Michael Caine and/or British accents (Guilty on both charges.)

Well, that pretty much wraps it up. This is DrkTr14ce saying:
"Disabled Seats are awesome. So much free space, AND they're near the front!"

(Reuploaded due to violation in ToS.)

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 19, '10, 11:03 pm

That sounds like a really confusing movie. A dream within a dream within a dream? That concept is kind of difficult to wrap the brain around. Transitions between two worlds can be mind bending in some stuff. I can usually follow those, but I think four worlds would be pressing it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Films