Dreamcast goes digital

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Dreamcast goes digital

Postby r3alP » Thu Jul 1, '10, 6:12 am

Don't tease me Thoul. PSO on the Xbox would be amazing and destroy any remnants of a non digital social life I have remaining. If that is the case it would have to be done by players hosting, which would be like Sacred 2 on the Xbox right now. This, of course, is best since you would never have a monthly fee, nor risk severs going down. And then... there is always there could still be updates added. Oh yes, it's so perfect... whahahaha! I'm getting way too excited. Someone smack me...

On a side note, I did see that you also mentioned Saturn ports. I will also pray to the god of Saturn that I get a chance at getting Guardian Heroes on the Xbox. That would also own.
r3alP
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Tweeg » Thu Jul 1, '10, 1:50 pm

Thing is, if they ported Shining Force III would they merely port what was already released in English back i nthe day or would they actually take the time to port the entire game? Outside of Japan the only thing officially released in the way of SFIII was scenario 1. That being only the first of three parts, all of which were released in Japan.

As for PSO, I love the idea of it getting re-released on a current (or future) system, but I don't believe that the general populace would be as receptive to it now as they were nine years ago. At least, not as a console title. I still beleive PSO's future lies in being re-released on a handheld system, like the 3DS.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 1, '10, 6:13 pm

If Shining Force III were ported, I would hope all three installments would receive the treatment. I think they would in Japan, at least. Episodic releases of games seems to be picking up more support thanks to digital distribution. Sega West is always hard to predict... they might only release the first part. If there are new features added, even that much might be Japan-only.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 9:04 pm

Oh, crap... OH CRAP!!!

Sonic Adventure... I loved that one in my DC. If they release Skies of Arcadia I'm sold, even though I have the GC version. The Shenmue titles, I don't think so. While I'm an avid Shenmue fan, I'm still angry because they didn't finish the story. Still, this could be a nice opportunity.

You can forget about Grandia II. As far as I know, this is a Sega iniciative and Grandia II was by Game Arts.

Space Channel 5 parts 1 and 2 would be awesome. It'd be a great way to say hello to Ulala again. I'm all for it.

I don't think that PSO would make the cut, to be honest. PSU is still an active franchise in the PSP, PS0 in the DS, and the game is quite old by today's standards, not to mention that a better version was released on the Game Cube. I definitely wouldn't buy it unless it had every single thing the Game Cube version has.

Virtual On would be absolutely awesome, though. Already having local ultiplayer, it'd be a blast to play, and adding online would only make the game better.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 7, '10, 10:09 pm

Sega could always try to get a publishing license for Grandia II. Game Arts made it, but they didn't do the publishing. But I agree that first party titles are probably more likely to get the digital treatment. Maybe if these games are a good success, third parties will get in on the deal too.

If they did PS Online, it would probably be the Blue Burst version. Official servers for it are still running in Japan I think, so I could see that being tied into those.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:58 pm

I doubt they would release Grandia II. I dunno how well or bad was it received, but the chances of third parties going through with it, seem slim, if not null.

Regarding PSO, Making a Blue Burst version sounds way out to me. The reason is that the core idea of Sega is porting existing DC games, not porting PC games, and Blue Burst was very much a PC game, even if it was based on DC code (although I dunno if it really is).

What I think could potentially be released, along with Sonic Adventure is Sonic Adventure 2, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio and hopefully Virtual On.

If they released PSO, which I doubt, it most likely would be Eps I & II, although PSO V2 seems more likely, which I wouldn't buy, unless it had one hell of a cool online mode available. If it was a mixture of Eps I & II and Blue Burst, I'd cry tears of joy, though.

Skies of Arcadia would mean Sega would get my money for that game in a flash.

Ikaruga would be too cool, but that's Treasure's. Still, Gunstar Heroes is on PSN.

XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Thu Jul 8, '10, 12:07 am

Oh... And for Saturn games... I'd love Guardian Heroes. I played it only once, and I loved it. A new translation of Dragon Force would also be welcome. I played the Working Designs release, and while I initially liked it, the names and stuff now grate on my nerves (I have the Japanese PS2 release). If they released Dragon Force 2, it'd mean I'd have a major drool flood coming out of my mouth.

Oh! The Panzer Dragoon series! I've always, always wanted to play Azel (or Saga, whatever). I had PD Zwei, but a * burglar broke into my home back then... I also played the first one, which was included with Panzer Dragoon Orta. Great fun.

Shining The Holy Ark would be awesome. I'd love to play it in English, since I got the Japanese version.

XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Sep 12, '10, 3:56 pm

Sonic Adventure is coming to the XBLA this Tuesday. No announcements on a PSN release though, it's times like this where I wish I could get online with my 360, which'll never happen until I get the slim one :x
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Flames of Yagami » Thu Sep 16, '10, 10:40 pm

SegaVsCapcomVsSNK wrote:Sonic Adventure is coming to the XBLA this Tuesday. No announcements on a PSN release though, it's times like this where I wish I could get online with my 360, which'll never happen until I get the slim one :x

Okay I just read that the PSN release will be September 21.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Thu Sep 16, '10, 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Flames of Yagami » Thu Sep 16, '10, 10:52 pm

Apparently the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure has gotten a lot of hate from IGN due to how bad it is by today's standards, and how it lacks the Gamecube's features (which are actually unlocked via DLC for 400 points, or $5.) They gave it a 3.5, thus making it the lowest rated Sonic game since Sonic and the Black Knight.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup