Light Bulbs banned!

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Light Bulbs banned!

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Dec 20, '07, 8:16 pm

What do you think of the incandescent light bulbs being banned? Other countries have already banned these types of bulbs in favor of more efficient means of illumination, and now the US seems to be following along. The incandescent bulbs are to be phased out sometime in the next four years probably - between 2012 and 2014.

How many bulbs will you have to buy and replace because of this ban? How might it affect us all in other ways?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandesce ... tbulb_bans

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Thu Dec 20, '07, 8:27 pm

What's an incandescent light bulb? I know what a light bulb is of course, but I don't know anything about the different types. Why are they being banned?
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 21, '07, 5:22 am

Incan...inca....incawhatsant? XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 21, '07, 8:58 pm

Incandescent are the old, traditional style light bulbs. :idea: <- Those.

I imagine the ban is to reduce energy consumption, but that's just a guess. I wonder if historical buildings will be included in this ban. Supposedly there's a firehouse somewhere that has a light bulb that has been burning for 100 years nonstop.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atolm » Sat Dec 22, '07, 4:10 am

Thoul: Yes there is. It is at a fire station near my town. :)
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 23, '07, 8:37 am

The lampost at our neigbors yard looks like it could be. Its an old grey rusted thing with rough coverings over a bulb. Could be dern near a thous'nd yeers old.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 23, '07, 2:27 pm

A hundred years?? Wow! I don't know what that light bulb is made of, but I wish they would mass market that! I'm so sick of my lights going out because the bulbs burn up inside.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Casual Conversation