Downloading music

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Downloading music

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jun 20, '09, 4:58 am

Wow, do you believe this?????

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 534542.ece

That's a lot of money! :ill:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Downloading music

Postby Darkil » Sat Jun 20, '09, 11:41 am

Yeah it's kind of crazy. I can't imagine how they expect a single mom to come up with that. Funny thing is, if that put her children in jeopardy, who's to say she couldn't sue the big music industry for harming her kids and thus getting what she owes or more?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jun 20, '09, 3:07 pm

Sometimes I REALLY detest copyright law. Seriously...how is she going to get that kind of money? Record companies are greedy, and I bet hardly a CENT of that money would go to the actual artist. I hate copyright law. :fiery:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 20, '09, 8:03 pm

They're never going to get the money and they know that. The whole goal of suing people wasn't to get money, it was to set legal precedent and say to everyone: if you share music, we can ruin your life. It's just a bullying tactic. It has also largely failed to actually stop music sharing; that's why the lawsuits are being abandoned in favor of pressuring the ISP.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Sat Jun 20, '09, 10:17 pm

Thoul wrote:They're never going to get the money and they know that. The whole goal of suing people wasn't to get money, it was to set legal precedent and say to everyone: if you share music, we can ruin your life. It's just a bullying tactic. It has also largely failed to actually stop music sharing; that's why the lawsuits are being abandoned in favor of pressuring the ISP.

This has to be the most accurate assessment I've encountered of the motivations of the RIAA in these occasional high profile cases. As Caged Wolf has pointed out, the original artists gain little in the way of royalties; the record companies are just concerned about the potential dent to their huge profit margins. I just feel sorry for the individuals of whom they are attempting to make an example. Music sharing preceded the advent of online file exchange networks. People borrowed records and cassettes from friends and public libraries and made copies. The only fundamental difference was that these activities were (and remain) almost impossible to monitor.

The Canadians have shown the most sense here. In 2004, Canadian judge Konrad von Finckenstein refused the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) a court order to force five Canadian ISPs to reveal the names, phone numbers and addresses of 29 file-sharers the CRIA believed were infringing copyright.

In his ruling, Justice von Finckenstein compared the actions of the file sharers to the presence of a photocopy machine in a library. "I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service," he stated.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jun 21, '09, 6:04 am

Srijita wrote:

The Canadians have shown the most sense here. In 2004, Canadian judge Konrad von Finckenstein refused the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) a court order to force five Canadian ISPs to reveal the names, phone numbers and addresses of 29 file-sharers the CRIA believed were infringing copyright.

In his ruling, Justice von Finckenstein compared the actions of the file sharers to the presence of a photocopy machine in a library. "I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service," he stated.

I like that Judge. :yes: Makes sense to me.

Also, I get the feeling from reading the article that even though the judgement was so high against the lady that the people may still have been willing to settle for the smaller amount they offered in the beginning. I know any amount is huge when you just don't have it, but a few thousand is a whole lot less than the huge amount given in the end.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 7:37 am

That's a load of bull. These people don't realize that if people actually like the songs of the artists, most will buy the cd or at the very least, still pay to go to concerts. If I were an artist, I would be happy that people were sharing my music with others.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jun 21, '09, 3:16 pm

XxEnslavedNekoxX wrote:That's a load of bull. These people don't realize that if people actually like the songs of the artists, most will buy the cd or at the very least, still pay to go to concerts. If I were an artist, I would be happy that people were sharing my music with others.

That right there is more or less the end point of a an episode of South Park. I think the name of it is 'Christian Rock Hard' or something along those lines.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 3:43 pm

Yup, that and their whole speech about how movies belong to the people who watch them only this time with uh...music :D
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby dimples » Sun Aug 16, '09, 11:43 am

Let's all just stop downloading music, buying it, going to concerts. And let's not buy anything music related, or post videos or make fan forums. And let's see how happy the music people will be :D It's ridiculous. You can't even share a music video on youtube. It's so annoying and makes no sense
dimples
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Return to Tootin' Tunes