Phantasy Star Collection: Rolf and Nei

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Rolf and Nei

Rolf and Nei

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star Collection: Rolf and Nei

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 2, '10, 12:00 am

A pair of short biographies from the Phantasy Star II section of Phantasy Star Collection feature Rolf and Nei on pages 11 and 12. Rolf's original Japanese name is translated as Yousis here, but this is an atypical translation not used in other published materials. The name is usually presented as Eusis instead. Next to the sketches at the bottom of each page, some profile information like height and birth date is provided.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star Collection: Rolf and Nei

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 2, '10, 10:23 pm

Cool pics, and interesting info about the names. I think I like Rolf better than "Yousis", although, "Eusis", isn't too bad. :wink:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby newsblade » Sat Jun 23, '12, 4:45 pm

[I may be missing something here - if so, please, someone enlighten me]

"Yousis" may be atypical in most of western web-pages, but in terms of official Japanese sources and material, I think it is the most used, because not only it appears in this art-book (Phantasy Star Collection) and latter republish in Saturn, but also in the original PS Text Adventure and latter ports like SegaAges for PS2.

The other romanization (Eusis) was made up by Kanzume's team (not the PS team) and was never used again (I may be missing something but it appears that we can't find it anywhere else, besides that Kanzume's port). I believe it was widely spread by fans because when Capowski translated PS Compendium he only knew the Kanzume version at that time...[1]

...and since that Compendium translation was the best and only source we had/have, everyone started to use those. Latter some roms from the original Sega Telnet and every other port (like SegaAges) surfaced and confirmed the romanization given by this official Japanese book.

This is also applies for "Kainz" (PS team romanization) vs "Kinds" (Kanzume's team romanization). I may like the spell and sound of "Eusis" better, but the truth is "Yousis" is more near to ユーシス (yuushisu/Youshis) than Eusis... and more legitimate too.

--
[1] «PSII (note: the PSII text adventures spell out the PC's first names in roman letters on certain screens. Eusis, Nei, Amia, (...) In fact, since the smarter-than-the-average-Musk Cat Naflign has managed to get hold of one of these precious discs, we might be seeing some changes/confirmations in these names soon.» ~ in Capowski's Compendium Translation
Last edited by newsblade on Sat Jun 23, '12, 4:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 23, '12, 8:35 pm

I'm not sure if I was aware of the two different text adventure versions at the time I originally wrote the first post here. Looking over the materials available to me now, I have to agree with what you've said. Eusis is much less common than I originally thought. It was just the first to become known in the west, thanks to Naflign getting the Game no Kanzume discs, and popularized by the Compendium translation.

From a quick glance at all the official materials available to me at the moment, these are all the different ways I can find Rolf's name presented:
  • Original Text Adventure - Yushis on title screen, Yousis in the menu
  • Game no Kanzume port of Text Adventure - Eusis
  • Collection book (pictured above) - Yousis
  • Complete Collection - Yusis (in image filenames), plus the original Text Adventure

Everything else uses ユーシス. One book actually lists "Rolf" alongside that. The game manual seems to use 主人公, if I read it correctly. Google translates that as "the hero."

Now, I'm inclined to consider Yusis, from the Complete Collection image filenames, to possibly be less valid. It tends to use some very usual names on some characters. Examples include Ludy for Chaz, Slay for Rune, and Hyui for Hugh. The less said about it using Kain for Rhys' name, the better. :o

So, I guess Yousis is actually the most used form of the name after all. There are so many different forms, though...
Last edited by Thoul on Sat Jun 23, '12, 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby newsblade » Sat Jun 23, '12, 9:08 pm

I didn't knew all those romanization existed!

Complete Collection - Yusis (in image filenames), plus the original Text Adventure
File names could be shortened for compatibility purposes, but this one may also appear in "World of Phantasy Star" book if we consider "Ψυσισ" to be "Yusis". (Ψ=Y and not "Psi")
Last edited by newsblade on Sat Jun 23, '12, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 24, '12, 3:11 am

The possibility of the filenames being shortened occurred to me as well, but I don't think it's the case here. Some of the file names are really long. The art of Amy healing Rolf's arm actually has one of the longest names, 15_ps2_anneandyusishealp19.bmp. Some other examples of filenames are 04_ps2_yusis.bmp and 14_ps2_anneandyusisp40.bmp.

The files that are the Text Adventure game ROMs do have shortened filenames, though. Rolf's is ps2tyush.sgd, for example. There are actually two versions of Nei's game on the disc. I think one is the original and the other is the Kanzume version, but I'm not sure. If I'm right about that, the playable one is the Kanzume version, which is a file named ps2tnei_fixed.bin. That makes me wonder what was fixed from the other file, ps2tnei.bin.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Mon Aug 28, '17, 1:15 pm

Great picture and very interesting explanations about the different names ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 29, '17, 4:02 am

I like the names!

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Tue Aug 29, '17, 12:32 pm

The names are great indeed and the japanese writings are very interesting : I would like to have been able to decipher them more easily ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 19, '23, 4:44 pm

Awesome info and pics! They both look great here!

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Featured Images