Dog gives fire alert

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Dog gives fire alert

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jun 9, '09, 3:15 am

The dog sounded his own alarm and probably saved this lady's life.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31153801/?GT1=43001

Smart dog! :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Dog gives fire alert

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 9, '09, 3:55 pm

She's very lucky she had the dog and that she happened to notice the fire thanks to it.

Here's a similar story that was linked on the same page: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30932000/
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Tue Jun 9, '09, 6:36 pm

I've read so many fire alert stories like this and never tire of them. Animals are such good friends to us. The bulldog's actions are particularly poignant in the context of her ill-health and her owner declining the vet's offer to put her down.

I've long felt that we need to look more closely into analgesia and palliative care for pets with chronic or terminal diseases, to allow them to retain some quality of life and obviate the need for euthanasia.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jun 12, '09, 8:08 pm

Thoul wrote:Here's a similar story that was linked on the same page: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30932000/

That was a good story too, although a little sad that the dog may not have long to live. I applaud the dog's owner for the decisions he made regarding her final days, etc.

And, here's another story I found where the dog also saved the lives of his family by alerting them to a fire, but sadly the dog did not make it. :cry:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/day ... 59051.html

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Srijita » Tue Jun 16, '09, 11:19 pm

Pyrenean mountain dogs (a.k.a. Great Pyrenees) are a highly alert and courageous breed. In their historic role of livestock guardian, they were known to defend their flocks to the death against predator attacks. As companion and guard dogs, they extend the same level of protection to their families. I've been lucky enough to meet (and pet) a Pyrenean, and they're just as beautiful in the flesh as they appear in photographs.

I'm haunted by the fact that this Pyrenean ran back into the burning house. What made him do that? I don't buy the "panic" theory at all; perhaps he went in to retrieve some treasured possession or aid some other living creature that he considered to be under his protection. Sounds crazy, but that's one of the more interesting suggestions made in the comments below the story. Apparently, with their acute senses, Pyreneans will be aware of other resident animals, such as rodents, and may consider them part of his "flock". Either way, Jeter is a hero. :proposetoast:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Lucas » Wed Jun 17, '09, 2:43 am

The poor doggy :( . At least he can die knowing he was a hero.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 1:40 pm

For the first article, it's a good thing the lady had the dog. Even though I don't care for that particular breed of dog.

For the second article, it's sad the dog died. But I like how they say the dog payed her back. It really seems to give credit to him.

Animals are very smart. I know when my boyfriend has cooked and we'ved had the windows shut, our home has been smokey a few times. My oldest cat Ickers never liked it and would sit and cry until the smoke was gone.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Return to Amazing Animals