Ever have trouble sleeping?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Ever have trouble sleeping?

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 7, '08, 5:36 am

Every now and then, I'll find that I can't sleep at all when I try to go to bed at night. I toss and turn, with my mind still so active that I just can't go to sleep. Eventually I decide I'm just wasting time and get back up for a few hours. Eventually I get tired and then go to sleep.

Does this ever happen to you? If so, what do you do to pass the time or help yourself get to sleep?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jan 7, '08, 6:26 am

This happens to me sometimes, but not usually...unless I have a big test the next day. :p Usually when this happens, I either read for a little bit, or I put on quiet, calming music. Both usually help me sleep after a few minutes.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jan 7, '08, 7:02 pm

Yeah, it happens to me too sometimes. I will try various methods to fall asleep - even counting sheep and counting my blessings (there's an old song by Bing Crosby that says "If you're worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep, and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings". Sometimes it works.

I also listen to soothing music to help my mind wind down and think less about all the other things that are bothering me at the moment. Or perhaps find a movie to watch to get my mind on something else, and if it is a boring movie, then that helps me fall asleep, lol. If all that doesn't work, I usually try to get busy doing something - reading, working at some task, or just computing. I'm not one to take some kind of pill or something to help me sleep. I won't go that route. Sometimes a glass of milk might help, or even maybe a light snack of some type.

I also find it helps to keep busy during the day, and get an early start if possible (hard for me to do sometimes), so that by bedtime, I am usually tired and sleepy. Sometimes, though, even that doesn't work. Or, I fall asleep too soon (I just doze off for a while, lol) and then when it is time to go to sleep, I'm wide awake! Bummer!

I think we really only need a certain number of hours of sleep a night, or day, whichever time you sleep, anyway. I've also heard that if you keep a regular time set for going to bed every night, etc., it may help you sleep better, but that's impossible for me to do and doesn't work for me.

Good luck with your sleeping.
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Mon Jan 7, '08, 9:24 pm

Nah, I sleep like a baby. No problem falling asleep - just waking up sometimes.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Jan 8, '08, 1:39 am

Not that I know of, other than its hard to sleep if I get to bed early. Though, its always taken me more than an hour to fall asleep.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Casual Conversation