Do you think Ragol was Earth?

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Do you think Ragol was Earth?

Postby Neithird » Sat Mar 31, '07, 4:40 pm

In PS Online, the title screen shows an explosion on Ragol from space, which starts off the story of the game. If you look closely, you can see a landmass that resembles Africa and the Middle East before the explosion. Based on this, do you think Ragol could really be Earth, perhaps long abandoned by the Earthmen of Phantasy Star II?

I think so. :) It would be perfect irony if the descendents of Algo moved to Earth, as the descendents of Earth tried to move to Algo.

Of course, I haven't played anything after the original Dreamcast release of PSO, so I don't know how that might change the idea.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: Do you think Ragol was Earth?

Postby Thoul » Sat Mar 31, '07, 7:23 pm

I'm not sure if it was meant to be Earth or not. Remember, in PSII, the Earthmen said their world was destroyed. I suppose it could just mean an ecological calamity that made the planet uninhabitable and healed over time, but I doubt it. When I think of a world being destroyed, I think of something like Krypton or Palma: big, big explosion that leaves nothing but debris.

I'm sure the developers did model the design of Ragol after Earth, though. During a debate about this years ago, I created a image illustrating the similarities you mentioned (which I don't seem to have any longer, drat it all). I doubt anyone at Sega expected fans to be looking into the series so deeply at the time, so they probably just used a model of Earth to get a realistic looking planet. A shortcut, basically.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Sun Apr 1, '07, 2:06 am

That's true, they did say that, didn't they? And it was right around the time when they took credit for destroying Palma, so they probably meant the planet wasn't there any more. Darn.

On the other hand, the Earthmen weren't exactly sane... they said they had come to claim Algo for their own, but then they destroyed the most Earth-like planet. So, maybe they had been influenced by Dark Force or driven mad by whatever kept them alive for so long. They had to be in Algo for hundreds of years, but they still claimed to be from Earth.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 1, '07, 9:41 pm

True, they were a bit off in the head. I hadn't given much thought to their ages before, but I guess it is possible that they extended their lives with some kind of cryosleep, like Lutz. I would rather think DF was responsible, as with Rulakir in PSIII. Hard to say, though.

Either way, we just don't have enough evidence to conclude with any certainty if Ragol is Earth or not. If it's not supposed to be, Sonic Team really blundered when they used the Earth model. 8)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Thu Jan 10, '08, 2:47 am

I think Ralgol is in fact... the green-bluish planet of Crys, Adan and perhaps even Sean's end.

The planet doesn’t have a name in PS3 so we are free to speculate that Ralgol is in fact that planet showed in some "alternative" endings.

1st. A shot from the Earth

2nd. A shot from the Untitled Planet [wich i think is Ralgol]
Can you find similarities with Earth? It's the same image! Only greener (which means the continents are the same) - the guys from SEGA didn't want to spend more hours with this ending =P
Ok, there are other differences... instead of a moon there are two other planets.

Ralgol in PSonline EpI&II intro
Hmm.... a green planet witch resembles Earth... where did I saw this before?

PSonline
A planet similar to Earth... but I don't see the moon... only 2 other planets (like that PS3 ending)

PSonline
Yes... no doubt, there are 3 planets... even the logo shows us 3 planets (I still believe the logo is meant to represent Algol, because I think this solar system has more than 3 planets)

-
I am not saying PSonline follows PS3. This could be even after an PS4 disaster because PS3 proved this solar system to be one of the closest systems of Algol... (closer than that is obviously Copto = 1lightyear distance only)
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Jan 10, '08, 10:38 pm

Ragol, hmmm, could it be perhaps it is the alter ego of earth!!!? XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby newsblade » Fri Jan 11, '08, 12:31 am

I thought in something like that
"a twin planet"... like a parallel planet inside the same universe

For example, imagine this blank sheet is an universe

And I, the Great Light, will place a seal - the first 3 planets I created - on the center of my universe

And eventually I will also create other planets... like Ragol

And I close the paper sheet like when I was a child and wanted to duplicate the paint to the other side

Let me make a (black) hole... so let's open the sheet and see what happened

woa! my universe now has a "twin side".... like man and woman, ying and yang and so on... (I like pairs)

Even the black hole became two... what an highway to travel

That's what appended in PS3... if you enter the black hole you will go to the past and to the parallel side
If you [starting from Earth] go forward you meat a very similar planet [Ragol]
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Jan 11, '08, 10:35 pm

lol, the pictures make it make sense now! XDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Phantasy Star General