Favorite album

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Favorite album

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jan 12, '09, 5:30 pm

Searched around, didn't find it, so I'll create it.

If you have one, what is your favorite album of all time by any artist? I'd be talking about an entire record/CD/whatever on which you can listen to pretty much every song on it in sequence over and over again and not get tired of it.

Like all things, I have a hard time choosing just one above the rest, especially if you want to consider the fact that I have about 20 gigs worth of music on my computer...but that's not the point. So I turn to my mp3 player contents, in which I have to be a bit more picky, and I see only two entire albums on there. One is Sonata Arctica's live album, For the Sake of Revenge...but it's a live album and essentially a compilation of songs from all the studio albums they had released at that time. Now, they certainly did an amazing job choosing the best stuff for that concert, but I won't count it because it's a live album containing items from all their studio releases.

The only other entire album I have on my mp3 player is Galahad's 'Empires Never Last'. It's the ONLY album of theirs that I have and all I can say is that I want more of their stuff. It's only got 7 songs, but 3 of those are over 10 minutes and one is just under 10 minutes. And every single song has something about it that I just love, especially the title song Empires Never Last with its middle section being a combination of jazzy and hard rock. The styles they use range from choral (beginning of the first song) to heavy metal to prog-rock to jazzy and other things stuck in there. They're awesome with their instrumentation and music. All in all, this album, despite being only 7 songs, contains enormous variety yet it still fits together marvelously, aided by the general theme of the lyrics being about...well, why empires are bad and never last. But it's not just some random political criticism, it's done so intelligently and they address somethings specifically, like 'I Could be God' addressing the cult of personality that empires and totalitarian systems are frequently built around. It doesn't target one specific thing, it targets a lot of things in the political arena. And it does it intelligently (not 'Bush sucks lol'...even though a few shots, if you will, are fired his way, but only in one section in one song, and it's done well and intelligently.)

Last note: album art is a picture of the raising of the Soviet flag of the ruins of the Reichstag at the end of World War II. Could not be more perfect, with a dash of irony thrown in.

What is your favorite album/some contenders for it?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Mon Jan 12, '09, 5:57 pm

Hmmm well if I had to do that I'd say it is Ghost Reveries from Opeth. This is the first album in my life where I enjoyed every song and didn't get tired of it. I have a bunch of albums from favorite bands but like most folks, there are a few songs which I can do without.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby pitohui » Mon Jan 12, '09, 6:09 pm

The Pixies' Surfer Rosa. REM's New Adventures in Hi-Fi is a close second.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jan 12, '09, 6:46 pm

Darkil wrote:Hmmm well if I had to do that I'd say it is Ghost Reveries from Opeth.

Awesome... :headphones: That one is probably at least my favorite Opeth album. Ghost of Perdition is one of those songs I can't quite get enough of. And I think they played it when I saw them live about three years ago...one of these days I hope to see Porcupine Tree and Opeth at the same time, if they do more joint tours together.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jan 13, '09, 12:33 am

I have quite a few CD's, Albums, etc. that I never get tired of listening to. I guess my favorite would be a compliation of Elvis Presley's greatest hits ever.

Although, if I could make my own album, I'd probably have so many varied songs and artists that it could take up several CD's or whatever, lol.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 13, '09, 1:31 am

Caged Wolf wrote:
Darkil wrote:Hmmm well if I had to do that I'd say it is Ghost Reveries from Opeth.

And I think they played it when I saw them live about three years ago...

Now I'm jealous! I'd love to see them live. Of course I think they have a new lead singer since their other one is fronting Bloodbath A.T.M.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lucas » Tue Jan 13, '09, 6:44 am

I have no idea what my favourite album would be. Proabaly one by Disturbed but I usually like a heap of songs on all four of their albums. Okay I'll say Indestructible which is their newest album but only because it has The Night which is my favourite song by them.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby luke » Fri Jan 23, '09, 4:01 am

pitohui wrote:The Pixies' Surfer Rosa. REM's New Adventures in Hi-Fi is a close second.

you are awesome.

i really like every album by the smiths. "different class" and "this is hardcore" by pulp are up there, too. it's too hard to pick.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jan 28, '09, 5:53 am

Currently, I can't get enough of "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" by The Offspring. Currently that's what I like the most so far but it is likely to change after awhile.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Snorb » Wed Jan 28, '09, 1:30 pm

At various times I've had different favorite albums. Currently, my favorite is the original cast recording of Monty Python's Spamalot, because it's based off of the third most awesome movie of all time.

Other former favorites of mine (that I still listen to) are Lou Bega's "A Little Bit of Mambo," the full soundtrack to "The Living Daylights," the Beach Boys' "The Sounds of Summer," and the Beatles' "1."

Michael Jackson's "Thriller 25" isn't on here because I just got it and haven't listened to it yet.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Return to Tootin' Tunes