Do you replay games?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Do you replay games?

Postby S4Blade » Sat Oct 12, '13, 2:34 pm

With so many games out there, it's hard to stay on top of things, but do you give yourself time to replay games that you have played in the past?

Previously I have stayed pretty focused, and not gone back to play games I have played before, but just recently I've gone back and played Ninja Gaiden Black, Phantasy Star Portable, and Serious Sam First & 2nd Encounter (PC). I broke out my Gamecube again and I've been replaying Naruto Clash of Ninja 2, since I really enjoy messing around with the game.

However, when I think about the time I spent replaying these games, I almost feel guilty, since I could have spent that time on playing some more recent games that I have yet to play.

How about the rest of you? Do you frequent games that you have played before and liked?
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Do you replay games?

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Oct 12, '13, 3:10 pm

Oh yeah! In fact, right now, I'm replaying EarthBound in a 1/128 item run. I've replayed Okami tons of times (most recently the HD version, if you count that as a replay) and I have no idea how many times I've beaten the original Spyro the Dragon game. Again, if you count HD re-releases as replays, I have the Ratchet & Clank HD trilogy in queue. I have several Genesis platformers from my childhood I'd like to revisit for the first time in years. And lastly, a replay of Red Dead Redemption is on my radar.

Games are like music to me (albeit fewer of them and on a smaller scale). When you love it enough, you HAVE to revisit it sometimes.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby augmentedfourth » Sat Oct 12, '13, 4:10 pm

I usually do, yes. Not only because I must have enjoyed a game if I stuck with it all the way through to the end, but I know that even with my compulsive explorations, I know that there are things I missed the first time and certain events/details that will be more significant in the context of the grand scheme of things.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby S4Blade » Sat Oct 12, '13, 10:49 pm

There are a lot of games I'd like to replay: Silent Hill 2&3, Skies of Arcadia, all of the portable Castlevanias, but I feel like I need to stop myself from doing so. I feel like I would fall into an endless loop of gaming, and I would make no progress with the games I still have to play. However, it is nice to revisit your old favorite games, just to see if they still hold up to this day.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 13, '13, 6:28 am

Absolutely, playing some games for the second or third or even further time can be fun and almost as exciting as it was playing for the first time. It might be that for the first time I played the game I was just trying to get through it fast and no matter what, but when playing the same game later I may take some extra time to explore areas that I passed up previously or try some different moves to see what the reaction will be that time, etc. As long as you are having fun and enjoying the game that's all that really matters. The other games will still be there later, imho.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Oct 13, '13, 3:16 pm

I spent all last night on replays. Namely, childhood Genesis platformers. Oh yeah. Of course, of the three I played, I only beat one. Thinking that today/tonight after I get through some school work I want to revisit childhood Genesis beat 'em ups...namely, Golden Axe and maybe Alien Storm.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Oct 13, '13, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby R-90-2 » Mon Oct 14, '13, 12:37 am

Well, yeah. Sometimes I need to keep myself from doing an infinite replay loop (Ys I & II), want to see if a game was as bad as I remember (Monster Party), want to see how a game I used to like has held up (Streets of Rage 2, and the answer is yes), or I'm hazy on whether or not I actually beat it myself the first time around in the first place (Link to the Past).

Currently re-plowing through Final Fantasy VII. It's actually proving to be more concise and faster-paced than I remember. The Xenogears replay I did, however, was exactly as bloated as I remember.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Mon Oct 14, '13, 8:53 pm

Yes ! I love to replay some games but.. I lack time for that ! Unfortunately... :(
Ah some titles or so great ! Such as.. Ys and Skies of Arcadia !! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Oct 21, '13, 10:28 pm

Well, yesterday, I picked up a copy of Red Dead Redemption: GOTY edition. It has a hardcore difficulty mode, which will certainly make for a good challenging replay. Plus, given the season, a replay of Undead Nightmare just feels appropriate. It'll help me decompress through this midterm season.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Oct 21, '13, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 2, '14, 6:04 am

It's been a long time since I replayed a game, mostly due to a lack of time. It's definitely something I like to do after a while, but usually I wait long enough to forget how the game progressed. I really want to break out the old PlayStation 1 and Dreamcast to replay a few titles, but there are so many unplayed games in my backlog now that I have no idea when I'll actually get to those.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to General Gaming