Do you play an instrument?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Do you play an instrument?

Postby Neithird » Thu Apr 5, '07, 5:22 pm

Do you play any kind of musical instrument? Singing counts, too. If you sing, your voice is like an instrument. 8)
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: Do you play an instrument?

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 5, '07, 11:29 pm

Not I. I took a class and tried one or two instruments once, but I just didn't take to it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Zafneir » Fri Apr 6, '07, 5:30 am

I own a bass guitar, and can play a few songs, but that's about it. I've always meant to take lessons, but have never set down a plan to do so. Right now, I have several important priorities that need to be attended to before I can think of investing time and money on learning to play, but I'd one day like to join a band just for the opportunity to have fun and meet new people.
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 6, '07, 8:42 pm

I own a Piano. I've only had a few lessons, though, and can't play very well as yet. I love to sing, but only for my own enjoyment. I used to like to try and play the harmonica also. Never quite figured out how to play a song but it was fun trying. Is the radio considered a musical instrument???? If so, I play that one very well. :wink:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Mon Apr 9, '07, 5:26 pm

:lol: I don't think radios count as instruments. But if they did, I guess that would be something we can all play well. :mrgreen:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 9, '07, 7:19 pm

Yeah, I guess you're absolutely right on that one, Niethird. :)

I wish I could play the guitar. That sounds like fun. I also think it would be neat to play a Mandolen, or a harp (the big ones like those associated with angels, etc.. I also like the steel guitar (like those used in country songs), and the banjo, and the drums sound fascinating to me. I'd like to play them just for fun, however, These days someone can make a very good and financially stable career just by being a good musician.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 16, '10, 10:57 pm

Bumping this topic up again as we have gained several new members since it was first posted.

So, does anyone here play a musical instrument of any kind? Do you play more than one instrument? Have you ever had any musical lessons or do you play by ear, etc.?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tanith » Tue Aug 17, '10, 3:49 am

I took classical piano lessons for eight years. I still enjoy playing to this day and will be receiving my grandmother's piano very soon. Yay! (Though it's quite sad that the reason I'm inheriting it is because she's no longer able to play it.)

I played French horn in middle school, though if I tried to play it today I'm sure it would cause alley cats to gather around my house and moan. :D My dad has a beautiful double horn, though. I just love that instrument. I was also a part of a Christian marching band at this time and played the mellophone when marching.

I played auxiliary percussion in high school. I enjoyed that immensely, though counting measures can be boring. "Rest, two, three, four, two, two three four..." BLEARGH. However, the fun of being distinctively heard apart from the other instruments (I played bells, xylophone, vibraphone, etc.) makes it worth it. My family always knew it was me playing during concerts. :D The only drawback? Not getting to play bells while marching. I had to play cymbals, and I hated carrying those things.

I can play alto and soprano recorders, and no, I don't mean just something stupid like "Three Blind Mice." I prefer playing Medieval (huzzah!) and Baroque music on both, just in case my gaming, former high school band geek, fanfic writing habits didn't totally solidify my place in Nerd Kingdom. ;)
Last edited by Tanith on Tue Aug 17, '10, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Aug 17, '10, 1:35 pm

Mkay, my post will pretty much be a copy of Tanith's post.

As the resident song remixer, you can imagine that yes, I do enjoy playing music.

During high school, I spent three years playing tuba (boring), melophone (less boring) and trumpet (fun!). In my time in the army cadets, I kept the trumpet as my main instruments since I was part of the marching band.

About 12 years ago, I decided to try my hand at the recorder and I quickly mastered it. I have about twenty different ones now but that of course includes a few copies of each model. The (cheap) exotic recorders/pipes brought back by my in laws from their travels are appreciated for collection's sake but I prefer playing my sopranino, soprano, alto and tenor flutes. The Alto is my favorite. The sopranino is the most obscure and potentially annoying if not played with skill. For Star Trek fans, Captain Picard's "Ressica" flute is a Sopranino recorder and yes, I do play the song he learns in "The Inner Light". As Tanith, I play a lot of medieval music and many video game themes. I also play a bit of ocarina on occasion but I don't really enjoy it.

I tried my hand at the flute (horizontal metallic one) and saxophone but didn't like it much.

I always wanted to play piano but I haven't the dedication to learn it. As a kid, I used to play quite well on my grandparents' electric organ too. I would love to play drums and I know I'd be wicked good at it but it's very expensive.

Last but not least, I sign a lot. I used to sign medieval songs in (medieval) restaurants and LARPs but in the recent years, I decided to evolve to crooning and opera. I have a very powerful voice, I however need to work on my technique more. Last December at our corporate Christmas party, I sang "What a wonderful world", the first part with my crooning voice and the rest as a rather accurate imitation of Louis Armstrong, that in front of 200 people. I was nervous.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Aug 17, '10, 3:18 pm

I used to play saxophone and violin back in high school. Not anymore. But I still sing. Once I move for my AmeriCorps service I may try and see if there's a community choir I could join.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Tootin' Tunes