Do you perform or create?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Do you perform or create?

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 29, '10, 6:05 pm

Almost all of us listen to music, but do you ever perform or create any music yourself? If so, in what way? It takes a lot of talent and practice to learn how to play an instrument well or write a song.

I myself am completely lacking in this area. Musical studies is an area in which I was never very good.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Do you perform or create?

Postby Tanith » Fri Apr 30, '10, 1:35 am

I play the piano. I took private lessons for eight years and can read music pretty well. I also played French horn and auxiliary percussion in school.

I used to write songs when I was a teenager, but I'd probably find most of them at least mildly hilarious if I got out my old stuff and played them again.

Extreme Nerd Alert: I once attempted--and got pretty far with--an orchestral arrangement for "The Hustle." No, I'm not kidding. :rofl:
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Lucas » Fri Apr 30, '10, 1:56 am

The only musical instrument I ever played was the recorder back in primary school but it was a requirement by all students. So I haven’t played an instrument for a decent amount of years now.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 6:02 am

I have taken a few piano lessons. I love to play, but haven't had time for it in a long time. I would love to take it up again. I've been thinking about that a lot lately, so maybe I will do that sometime soon.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Sat May 15, '10, 11:49 pm

I've taken Piano lessons, played viola, violin, bass, tuba, drums/timpani, recorder, and a little bit of some weird thing called a feadog.

I like to program .mml files, which are an alternative form of .midi files but can be made easier and with instruments used by Korean game producers. :D
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun May 16, '10, 12:38 am

Back in school I was forced to play a recorder, and a saxophone. I hated the saxophone, but playing the recorder was alright.

Other than that, I can whistle pretty good. Maybe I'll make a video sometime and show you guys my whistling talent... or maybe not... >.>
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby PSP » Sun May 23, '10, 11:45 pm

Let's see...

I played drums on and off from the time I was 6 or so until I left home at 18 (my dad was a drummer and I played his kit, primarily). Couple of small bands, nothing major. I still play when I go home to visit, but I'm horribly out of practice. I have a good sense of rhythm by nature, but I can't pull off triplets and quadruplets unless I have access to a kit to get my chops back.

I also play guitar, which is my main focus now, though I've mainly restricted myself to root-5 power chords and pentatonic box leads since I was 10 or so. I really started getting serious about it recently and have learned a decent amount, modeling my style after a lot of favorites and trying to discern what they do to (my current favorite is George Lynch of Dokken fame, who I'm actually going to see live at the end of July at a small club locally in hopes of meeting him, he has a reputation for being personable with his fans). So far I've got two-handed tapping pretty much nailed and thanks to a good ear I can typically figure out a song on my own (speed and accuracy is my main thing to work on right now). Still, I've got a long way to go before I put together another band.

No original songs of my own...yet. Plan on changing that soon.
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby thepeaguy » Sun May 23, '10, 11:55 pm

No I can't play any instruments. I have a customised practice guitar (i'm left handed) from ages ago, but I didn't bother with it.

I don't think having an academic background in music makes you a superior musician. Johnny Rotten couldn't sing to save his life and now he's infamous in the music biz. PIL is far better and more musically diverse than his Pistols work.
thepeaguy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 24, '10, 2:16 am

Through high school, I played violin, flute, saxophone and sang in the choirs. In college, I still sang in the choirs and got a lot of solos. I'm a good singer, but it seems instruments hardly hold me unless I have a group to play them in.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Sep 9, '10, 3:01 pm

I do compose and record many songs as a hobby, but I'd not dare to torture you making you listen to them :p
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Return to Tootin' Tunes