Do you leave your system on?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Do you leave your system on?

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 6, '08, 2:02 am

With the rise of broadband internet services connecting into game consoles, I was wondering: do you leave your console(s) on when you're not using them? For example, the Wii has WiiConnect 24 or whatever it's called. I don't use it or really know what it does, so I turn my Wii off and unplug it when I'm not using it. What do you, or would you, do?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Sun Apr 6, '08, 5:25 am

nah not really, I got to much crap plugged up as it is already, if i left something other then my comp constantly on my house would probably explode.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Apr 6, '08, 5:59 am

We dont really have anything hooked up with the outside world except this computer. lol We leave lots of our stuff on all the time.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Lemina » Sun Apr 6, '08, 7:57 pm

For whatever reason, I like to turn off and unplug my systems when ever I'm not going to be using them for longer periods of time. I think that I'm afraid of the system overheating or something like that. :blank:

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Fogeltje » Sat Jun 14, '08, 11:42 am

When I'm gone for a longer period during the day, or going to sleep, I unplug my computer. Even turned off it still consumes a bit of power. Not to mention the route surely does. I just hit a switch and all my computer things are without juice. When it thunderstorms I also pull the plug of the box out, just to be safe.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jun 14, '08, 1:29 pm

I leave my Wii connected to the internet. I do that because my boyfriend and I do a lot of exchanging of screenshots, replays, and custom stages in Brawl, so that it's nice that every time I turn the game on, I can see if I got any from him right away. Plus, it's plugged in in a place that's a pain for me to reach.

My computer, however, is off and unplugged when I'm not using it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby luke » Sat Jun 14, '08, 2:22 pm

i keep my computer plugged in all the time unless i'm leaving for a few days or i know i won't be on it. i never leave my ps2 on, though. i never use any of the connective features for it, though.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 14, '08, 11:48 pm

I typically turn my computer off as well, but I leave it plugged up unless a thunderstorm is coming. Then I cut off the surge protector and unplug that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sat Jul 5, '08, 5:05 pm

At first I left the WiiConnect 24 on but turned it off because my system was hot enough to fry an egg. I did a few searches and a lot of people have complained about their Wiis being incredibly hot with WiiConnect 24 running.

I can't recall the last time I turned my PC off though.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Chris8282 » Tue Sep 16, '08, 2:55 pm

Lemina wrote:For whatever reason, I like to turn off and unplug my systems when ever I'm not going to be using them for longer periods of time. I think that I'm afraid of the system overheating or something like that. :blank:

They say that it's best to leave consoles on if you are going to be using them regularly. They say turn the system off if you aren't going to use it in 24 hours, and unplug consoles, like the PlayStation 2 that only go into stand-by (Not turned off.) when you press the power button, when you aren't going to use it for a few days. Other than that, they say it's best to leave it on unless it doesn't have a good fan or a fan at all (Like The PlayStation 2 Slim.)

... Your computer, however, should be left on at all times if it's worth it to keep it going as long as possible. Although, for the cheaper computers, the cost of keeping it on would be more than the cost of replacing it :D

And, by they I mean the computer experts at some stores I've been too :D
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Next

Return to Tech and Design