Do you import?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Aug 11, '07, 1:44 am

I came close to importing the two PS titles, but the language barrier was just too much for me. I want complete comprehension!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Divine Dragon » Sat Aug 11, '07, 2:13 am

The Komrade wrote:I came close to importing the two PS titles, but the language barrier was just too much for me. I want complete comprehension!
This, is something I understand only too well!

S'why I only ever buy games imported from America, got loads of games ages before they came out here. :) And all it really means is some words are spelt differently.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Re: Do you import?

Postby Flames of Yagami » Fri Oct 15, '10, 8:09 am

An arcade near me reopened a few months ago and they sell imports, surprisingly enough. I only know how to play imports on a Dreamcast so I only have some Japanese DC games, including the Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack, as well as Rockman Zero for GBA. Also, I asked the manager if he could see if anyone has one of the Phantasy Star remakes cause I've been thinking about modding my PS2 to play Japanese games
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Fri Oct 15, '10, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby xellos667 » Fri Oct 15, '10, 1:55 pm

I started importing games many many years ago, where I faced the cold true fact: American Sega Saturn market sucks. If you want quality Sega Saturn gaming, you have no choice but to import. And because of importing, the Saturn went from one of the worst console ever to my favorite console ever :) Other than that, I've imported also a lot of DS, PS1, old Gameboy exclusives games, and now that I have a Japanese PS2, I'm also importing those.

Of course, I import a LOT of Phantasy Star related stuff. So yeah, importing is really the way to go for an happy gamer life
Last edited by xellos667 on Fri Oct 15, '10, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Lucas » Fri Oct 22, '10, 10:53 am

I have imported both Xenosaga Episode 1 & 3 for my PS2 as they were the only games in the trilogy not to get released over here. Kinda stupid really whats the point of giving us the second game out of a three part saga? This is a major reason why I dislike Namco Bandi but I don't regret importing those games. I love Xenosaga.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 24, '10, 2:40 am

I hate when stuff like that happens. Sega's guilty of similar things. They only brought one of three parts of Shining Force III to the US. I was really interested in the game - even considered getting a Saturn for it - but the lack of the other two parts turned me off the whole thing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Mon Oct 25, '10, 8:23 am

Yes, I have imported before. I started buying imports in 2003.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Tweeg » Mon Oct 25, '10, 1:51 pm

I've directly imported Saturn and Naomi games from Japan and Dreamcast games from both Japan and Europe. And I've bought previously imported titles for GB, Genesis, NGPC, SMS, and TG-16. Still some DS and PSP games I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that I've yet to pursue obtaining.

At present though, my importing interests lie in pursuit of expanding my PSO collection.

And for those who still may not know, Japan power standards are 110v AC 60hz, which is only -5v difference from US power standards, which is within safe use tolerance for electrical devices. NTSC Is also the same TV standard used in Japan.

SNES games are region free, but the US and PAL systems have two plastic tabs in the cartridge slot near the connection pins that will prevent JP carts from fittin inside unless you use pliers to break them out.

N64 Are also region free, but the have an odd physical shape that prevents them from being directly inserted into a non-JP region N64. Imports can be easily played by using a GameShark, or similar device, as a pass-thru adaptor to get around the cartridge slot shape issue.

SMS, GG, NGPC, GB, GBC, GBA, VB, DS, and PSP are all region free game systems capable of playing games from all other regions.

Most Genesis/Mega Drive came cartridges are region free and can be played on any Genesis/Mega Drive game system without the use of an import adaptor. Only a few games released about midway in the systems lifetime have a region lock installed.

Saturn imports can be played by installing a mod chip, or installing a region switch, or the easiest way, using an import boot cartridge that fits in the memory cart slot.

Dreamcast imports can be played either by using a boot disc (readily available and easy) or by installing a mod chip (overly complicated).

Turbo-Grafx 16 is physically identical to its Japanese counterpart, the PC Engine, but sadly they changed the pinouts in the cartridge slot to discourage importing. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth to try and hunt down one of the super extremely rare import adaptors. If you want to play import PC Engine games just import a PC Engine/PC Engine Duo game system as well to save yourself a major headache.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby zyo81 » Mon Oct 25, '10, 3:22 pm

I've imported games for mega drive, saturn, dreamcast and xbox 360. Mostly shmups and fighters. I did import ps collection for saturn as well as ps 2 and 4 for megadrive though. If you're a fan of certain genres, you pretty much have to import.
zyo81
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby Wing Eye » Sat Nov 6, '10, 7:24 pm

I don't go out of my way to order imports, but if I see an import at a pawn shop or used game store I like to pick them up :)

I have:
PAL: PSP: Tales Of Eternia

Japanese: Game Boy: Pocket Monsters Silver

PS1: Final Fantasy VIII
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

Saturn: Shining Wisdom
Story Of Thor 2

Dreamcast: Record Of Lodoss War
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot