Do you ebay?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Do you ebay?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 27, '07, 2:21 am

Have you ever bought or sold on the online auction site - ebay? What do you think of ebay?

I have done both from time to time. Some experiences have been pleasant, and some not so, but that's the way the ball bounces. :wink: Still, it is an awesome place.

What do you think of the " weird " or unusual auctions they have from time to time? I remember one where someone saw something, maybe a face, in a toasted cheese sandwich, I think it was. :dizzy: I also recall one where someone had a potato chip or something like that which was shaped like a dog (perhaps a poodle). :roll: It always surprises me to see auctions like these and even more surprising to see the bids they usually get. :yaknow:

I also love the out-of-sight auctions like John Snider's auction for the "General Lee" not too long ago.

Anyone recall any others?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 27, '07, 8:15 pm

I've bought plenty, but never sold.

The weird auctions are good for a laugh sometimes. Some of those people are nuts. I remember seeing one auction for a bag of wind from a hurricane. :boggled:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Oct 27, '07, 11:20 pm

Thoul wrote:I've bought plenty, but never sold.

The weird auctions are good for a laugh sometimes. Some of those people are nuts. I remember seeing one auction for a bag of wind from a hurricane. :boggled:

Aye, it's crazy what some people sell. I've heard about one college student who basically auctioned her...innocence, in a manner of speaking. Crazy, as that's pretty much the same thing as prostitution. :blank:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Sun Oct 28, '07, 1:45 am

^That is now officially the weirdest online auction I have ever heard of. :o

I haven't bought much on eBay, just a few small things. I would never buy something perishable like food on there.

Some people just go crazy with the bidding. I remember once hearing on the news that some little kid had bid several thousand dollars on a house or something. I bet his/her parents were not happy to get that bill.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby wasku » Sun Nov 4, '07, 9:56 am

I have ebay but i dont have pay-pal i was thinking of getting it.
wasku
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 1

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 3:30 pm

Paypal is both a blessing and a curse at times. There are so many auctions now that only accept Paypal that one almost has to have it to buy anything. It is faster I suppose, but I'd rather pay by a money order in most cases.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Nov 5, '07, 6:49 pm

I've gotten a couple of things from ebay, Turbografx16 controllers and multitap. And a few games.
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 5, '07, 7:41 pm

I agree with Thoul's statement about Pay pal being both a blessing and a curse.

There are other methods to use besides Pay Pal, such as Bid Pay, etc., although I suppose Pay Pal is the most popular.

Also, I think, it is now a requirement that new sellers must have Pay Pal or a Merchant Account (not exactly sure what that last one is) in order to sell on ebay.

Older sellers do not have to meet that requirement as of now however, I think, and many of them do not like Pay Pal and do not use it. Whatever works for you, I guess. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 5, '07, 7:43 pm

Tsunami wrote:Aye, it's crazy what some people sell. I've heard about one college student who basically auctioned her...innocence, in a manner of speaking. Crazy, as that's pretty much the same thing as prostitution. :blank:

I agree. Was that one canceled or what? I wonder what the final bid was. :lol:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Mon Nov 5, '07, 8:42 pm

Secret_Surfer wrote:
Tsunami wrote:Aye, it's crazy what some people sell. I've heard about one college student who basically auctioned her...innocence, in a manner of speaking. Crazy, as that's pretty much the same thing as prostitution. :blank:

I agree. Was that one canceled or what? I wonder what the final bid was. :lol:
From what I've heard, eBay cancelled it and the British girl moved it to another site. As for the final bid, I don't know how high it was, but apparently the man gave her the money without doing the 'service', or so I've read.

And to think. The length a girl would go to pay for college expenses. :roll:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Next

Return to Casual Conversation