Do you Believe In ....... ?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Sep 2, '07, 9:47 pm

New Question:

Do you believe in God?
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 3, '07, 12:22 am

No, by definition, God is removed from the realm of the measurable, which is my only means of knowing things.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Sep 3, '07, 1:46 am

This question should be altered to, "Do you believe in any deities?"

If we're going to bring religion into this, you'd be as well being fair to religions which believe in more than one God.

I however, do not believe in any kind of God.
Last edited by Divine Dragon on Mon Sep 3, '07, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 3, '07, 2:29 am

Divine Dragon wrote:This question should be altered to, "Do you believe in any Gods?"

That wouldn't really be the same question. When "God" is capitalized as in the original question, it is usually a reference to the name of singular deity of the Christian (or similar) faith. In that case, "God" is a proper noun. "Gods," as in your alteration, is a grouping of deities and, grammatically speaking, that should be "... in any gods?".

I don't mean to be harsh or imply that your question isn't valid. I have no problem with either of these questions being asked. The grammatical use of "God" versus "god" is just one of those little things that I always feel compelled to talk about when I see it. ;)

Anyway, back to the questions. I do believe in the Christian God. I was raised in a Christian life style. From all of my childhood, I can't remember a time when my family wasn't going to church. That has always stuck with me. I don't believe in other gods as real existing deities, though I do think it is possible that some (like those in the Greek myths) could have been inspired by real people in some manner.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Sep 3, '07, 3:47 am

Thoul wrote:
Divine Dragon wrote:This question should be altered to, "Do you believe in any Gods?"

That wouldn't really be the same question. When "God" is capitalized as in the original question, it is usually a reference to the name of singular deity of the Christian (or similar) faith. In that case, "God" is a proper noun. "Gods," as in your alteration, is a grouping of deities and, grammatically speaking, that should be "... in any gods?".

I don't mean to be harsh or imply that your question isn't valid. I have no problem with either of these questions being asked. The grammatical use of "God" versus "god" is just one of those little things that I always feel compelled to talk about when I see it. ;)

Anyway, back to the questions. I do believe in the Christian God. I was raised in a Christian life style. From all of my childhood, I can't remember a time when my family wasn't going to church. That has always stuck with me. I don't believe in other gods as real existing deities, though I do think it is possible that some (like those in the Greek myths) could have been inspired by real people in some manner.
:hmm: Fascinating. I shall correct that then. :misspeak:

Also, I don't think "...any gods" would do either, doesn't it not include the monotheistic God, seeing as it uses a small g?
Urgh..
Deities seems to be fine anyway....
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 3, '07, 4:30 am

Also, I don't think "...any gods" would do either, doesn't it not include the monotheistic God, seeing as it uses a small g?

"Any gods" could be any group of deities, just like "any deities." You could use either to reference a grouping of God, Allah, the Greeks, and the Romans all together or just the Greeks or just the Romans. Even "god," with the lowercase g, can be used for any deity. It's just the capitalized "God" which is more specific as the name of the Christian deity.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Sep 3, '07, 5:59 am

A short, simple answer to such an apparently controversial question!

I believe in God, yes.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Atolm » Tue Sep 4, '07, 10:19 pm

I grew up in a Catholic family but they were also a very open minded family and enjoyed learning about other belief's and religions. It was more so, having faith and be good to others sorta deal.

That being said, I believe in some sort of God, but nothing of the sort of organized religion. If that makes any sense.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Divine Dragon » Tue Sep 4, '07, 11:57 pm

I actually wanted to bring in something a friend of mine thinks..

He thinks that the entire Universe was created through extremely advanced technology.

*shrug* People can believe crazier things.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Sep 5, '07, 12:09 am

Divine Dragon wrote:I actually wanted to bring in something a friend of mine thinks..

He thinks that the entire Universe was created through extremely advanced technology.

*shrug* People can believe crazier things.
That creation of the universe premise introduces an infinite regress of "who created the technology to create the universe?" "Well, who created the creator of the universe?" "Then who created the creator of the creator of the universe"..... etc. It doesn't work. You have to start with a base, that which exists. No one had to make the universe. It simply is.

A friend of mine thinks we're just atoms influenced by other atoms, therefore we're fated and have no free will, blanking out that he made a choice to believe that nonsense, thereby using a volitional consciousness to attempt to refute... a volitional consciousness. :roll:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation