Do you Believe In ....... ?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Atolm » Wed Aug 15, '07, 11:10 pm

Both home schooling and public schooling have their pros and cons.
I would just be more curious wondering how well the home schooled kid's social skills are. That would be my concern really.

I have never met a person who was home schooled, so I really know little about it.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 1:56 am

New Question:

Do you believe in life after death (such as living in Heaven or Hell, or some other place, or is death the end of it all?
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Fri Aug 17, '07, 6:28 am

Tough question to answer. I don't believe in the existance of hell, and I do not believe that when (good) people that they go to heaven, as I was taught to believe differently when it comes to that. As for what I do believe, when you die, you simply die...perhaps something similar like a deep sleep where you know and dream of nothing.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 19, '07, 7:05 pm

Interesting answer, Tsunami. You may be right.

I have always been brought up to believe in life after death and going to Heaven, so therefore, I suppose I must believe in Hell as well.

It is very intrigueing, though, because no one will ever really know until they have died and passed on, and then it's too late to tell anyone else. :blank:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 20, '07, 12:36 am

I don't believe in the term miracle as religion has defined it as a mystical force outside the realm of human comprehension. But I think the word would be a fine adjective applied to human action. I'd call building a skyscraper, or the Statue of Liberty, or a space station a miracle based upon the complexity of human ingenuity and knowledge required to build one.

UFOs: I'd guess they are out there somewhere in the universe; just not here. I agree with Thoul.

I'm entirely for home-schooling. A state-run educational system is bound to be flawed. Parents get no choice in the ideas taught to their children unless they can afford to pay for a private education. If a parent does send their child to a private school, they still have to pay taxes on public schools, as if they sent their child there. It's nuts. Then there's the whole herd mentality of public schooling where the only principles a child is consistently taught is to conform to the group and to memorize, not conceptualize. Socialization is a complete fallacy. Man's ethics come from himself, he doesn't need other people to know how to behave properly.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 20, '07, 7:53 pm

Very interesting opinons, everyone! :yes:

New Question:

Do you believe in mysterious forces at work in "The Bermuda Triangle", or do you think the strange events that happen there can be explained another way?
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Atolm » Mon Aug 20, '07, 9:09 pm

I feel that there is nothing super natural regarding the Triangle, and am sure that there are others ways to explain its strange mystery.
I am sure it has been explained, I just do not bother to listen. =P
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 20, '07, 9:37 pm

The Triangle, as far as I know, is still a mystery. I've heard explanations ranging from supernatural to natural to ancient machines left over from Atlantis. :eyebrow:

I believe there are mysterious forces at work, in that we don't know what causes compasses to go haywire and all that. I doubt we'll ever know the origin of those forces, whatever their source may be.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 20, '07, 10:47 pm

That's a good question. I saw a program on the Science Channel that did a study of the area where many airplanes vanished, and I can't remember for sure the gas involved, but I think it was methane vents on the ocean floor. Evidently methane kills propeller-driven aircraft engines by cutting off the oxygen and nitrogen flow, and the plane loses all its' lift properties.

They went on to show some experiments of the larger bubbles having enough force to capsize ships or even split them in half! I should have Tivo'd that one... I found it fascinating.

Thoul wrote:I've heard explanations ranging from supernatural to natural to ancient machines left over from Atlantis. :eyebrow:
That's an interesting mention of Atlantis. Did you know Plato was the first recorded person to mention Atlantis? All sorts of people are scouring the ocean floor looking for it, when Plato supposedly was mentioning such a place in a fictional sense. Anyway, I recently read the my favorite interpretation of Atlantis recently; I don't want to butcher it though. I should go find the quote. It's not at all like any you'd suspect. :hmm:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 21, '07, 11:33 pm

I'm not sure about "The Triangle". I don't know if all those occurrances can be explained logically, or not. I would like to know what has happened to all those planes, boats, and especially people that have gone missing or vanished without a trace there in that area for so many years. That is just spooky. :misspeak:
Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation