Do you Believe In ....... ?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Divine Dragon » Wed Sep 5, '07, 12:13 am

The Komrade wrote:
Divine Dragon wrote:I actually wanted to bring in something a friend of mine thinks..

He thinks that the entire Universe was created through extremely advanced technology.

*shrug* People can believe crazier things.
That creation of the universe premise introduces an infinite regress of "who created the technology to create the universe?" "Well, who created the creator of the universe?" "Then who created the creator of the creator of the universe"..... etc. It doesn't work. You have to start with a base, that which exists. No one had to make the universe. It simply is.

A friend of mine thinks we're just atoms influenced by other atoms, therefore we're fated and have no free will, blanking out that he made a choice to believe that nonsense, thereby using a volitional consciousness to attempt to refute... a volitional consciousness. :roll:
:D Exactly! Exactly! I even told him this.. but there's no arguing with people "like that" .. So I just dropped it..

That's another interesting belief.. :)
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 5, '07, 12:13 am

Well, I can see that this question has stirred up a little discussion, and perhaps a little debate, along with various opinions, which can be interesting sometimes. :)

I'll try to address some of the issues / opinions raised above regarding this question, if I may.

First, let me answer the question by saying that "Yes, I absolutely do believe in God!

Also, the "God" I was speaking of was indeed in reference to the Christan God, and not any other gods, deities, idols, or what have you. So, the question was asked exactly as I meant it to be asked.

Also, I was certainly not aiming to be unfair to any other religious groups, or whatever, and hope everyone did not interpret the question in that way. I respect their right to their own beliefs also, even if I may not agree with them.

Sometimes it seems that the possible controversy regarding a question of this type overshadows the issue of simply answering the question.

Tsunami, I agree with you, a short simple answer sums it all up rather well regarding this subject.

Atolm, I also agree with your remarks regarding being open minded enough to learn about other's beliefs and religions, and about having Faith and doing good. Those are all great qualities, etc. I think the more we learn, the better we can all become.
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Previous

Return to Casual Conversation