Batman (1989) 25th Anniversary BluRay!

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Batman (1989) 25th Anniversary BluRay!

Postby MrKite » Thu Nov 13, '14, 6:12 am

I don't buy BluRay discs that much despite my PS3 being able to play them (there's no difference in them from DVDs other than the sound quality from what I hear), but if there's a movie I feel is worthy of owning on BluRay, such as Independence Day, Superman:The Movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or Rambo III, I will get it when I get the dough. Anyway, I knew nothing about this until today, but there is a 25th anniversary edition of Tim Burton's classic 1989 Batman film coming out on December 9th! I was so excited about it I preordered it in a heartbeat! It has all the special features from the previous BluRay editions plus a new 2nd disc which has a new documentary about how the classic film came together (there's nothing else on this second disc other than that I'm afraid). I love the 1989 film, and this will be a sweet addition to my small BluRay collection.
Last edited by MrKite on Thu Nov 13, '14, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Batman (1989) 25th Anniversary BluRay!

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Nov 13, '14, 12:56 pm

MrKite wrote:(there's no difference in them from DVDs other than the sound quality from what I hear)

You were misinformed. Audio tracks require minimal space. The only thing Blu-Ray really does compared to DVD is: carry more data per disk.

So with movies that were released AFTER Blu-Ray technology was commercialized, it's "better" (arguably) to buy Blu-Ray because you'll get the best possible resolution, if you have the TV for it AND if you can see the difference, a lot of people don't.

The first time I really saw a difference was when I compared a Stargate Universe DVD with its Blu-Ray equivalent. The DVD gave me what I was used to see: nice resolution, clear image. Then I inserted the Blu-Ray, I was blown away. In the Intro, you can see the SG:U ship up close. On the DVD it was ok. On the Blu-Ray, the amount of clarity/detail/precision was staggering. If your movie wasn't filmed in HD? Waste of money.

So what else does Blu-Ray potentially add to your film?
-More soundtracks: more languages or more sound quality options. This is trivial and borderline useless to most people.
-Legions of previews: aka "I WANT TO WATCH MY MOVIE, STOP THIS ALREADY!"
-Tons of extras: Outtakes, making of's, deleted scenes, alternate endings. You know, the stuff no one ever watches.
-Technical headaches: Blu-Ray firmwares have to be updated regularly, else you end up with unreadable disks. Furthermore, loading times can be extremely annoying. Finally, if your reader is cheap, it will most likely NOT remember where you were when press the STOP button (most DVDs remember unless you physically remove/change the disk), meaning you will have to go through the boot up, previews, long menus AND have to scroll up to where you were to resume watching.

So what's the advantage of buying an OLD movie in Blu-Ray format, especially if you already have the DVD? Well, you get to make someone who is rich a little bit richer. That's it. You can't go back in time and upgrade a movie to 1080p if it wasn't filmed in 1080p.

Old movie? Get the DVD.
New movie? Your choice, but if it's not a visual-centric movie, I generally get the DVD and save 10 bucks in the process.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Thu Nov 13, '14, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Tweeg » Sun Nov 16, '14, 3:23 am

Way to make me feel old. I remember me and a friend being super excited about the Batman vehicle toys in the McDonalds Happy Meal when both the first and second movies were in theaters... and I still have mine somewhere.

Off-Topic:
I rather tend to concur with Aeroprism regarding the BD vs. DVD debate. Modern stuff, post 2007 especially, is pretty much all filmed digitally in 4k resolution and looks very clean and crisp in 1080p HD. However, that pretty much only applies to live-action and CG.

I've bought a couple anime titles on both formats for the sake of making comparrisons, can't see where it really makes a difference. Being that it is animation, and thus lower detail than real-life imagery, there is simply not a clear enough leap in the visual quality in a side-by-side comparisson of the two to warrant purchasing anime on BD.

The other big gimmick to BD is 7.1 surround sound, versus DVD 5.1 surround sound. I refer to this feature as a gimmick as not many people even now, after nearly three decades of existence, has home theater equipment managed to gain wide adoption. Home theater equipment occupies space, requires running wires in the room one desires to use it in, and speaker placement can be a nightmare to work out. And I say this from experience, even now I have two home theater receivers and all the speakers in storage because all of the headache involved in just setting it all up. I mean, it's easy to setup in theory, but when you actually go to do it one may quickly come to the conclusion that those wealthy members over at AVS forums were actually really smart to just remodel a room around the equipment.
Last edited by Tweeg on Sun Nov 16, '14, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Aeroprism » Sun Nov 16, '14, 5:04 am

Tweeg wrote:The other big gimmick to BD is 7.1 surround sound, versus DVD 5.1 surround sound.

Thank you thank you thank youuu!

7.1 is a toy, a gimmick, a pointless marketing tool to make people spend more/again.

Same could be said about 120hz TVs. Your brain processes around 50 images per second. Your eyes can't even SEE the 120hz refresh rate. Gimmick!!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby MrKite » Tue Nov 18, '14, 4:34 am

Yeah Tweeg! I know the feeling! So many great memories from that film! First character I ever was for Halloween was Batman. I was either 4 or 5 years old at the time!
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Screen Scene