Director John Hughes has died. (1950 - 2009)

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Director John Hughes has died. (1950 - 2009)

Postby Tweeg » Fri Aug 7, '09, 2:14 pm

Source: http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktx ... 2420.story
NEW YORK - The publicist for director John Hughes reports the blockbuster 1980s filmmaker has passed away.

Spokeswoman Michelle Bega told reporters Thursday afternoon Hughes died after suffering a heart attack during a morning walk in New York City. Hughes was reportedly in Manhattan to visit family.

Hughes directed moves in the 1980s and 1990s that grew to become cult classics, including "Sixteen Candles," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "The Breakfast Club." As a director, he frequently recruited many of the same actors to appear throughout his movies.

In 1990, Hughes directed "Home Alone" starring Macaulay Culkin. To this day, "Home Alone" is the top-grossing live-action American comedy of all time.

Hughes passed away at 59 years old and is survived by two sons.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: Director John Hughes has died. (1950 - 2009)

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 7, '09, 4:49 pm

I didn't know he did Home Alone. I thought I hadn't seen any of his movies, because I kept hearing names like the Breakfast Club thrown around. I didn't see films like those, but who didn't see Home Alone? We could use some good films like that these days.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Director John Hughes has died. (1950 - 2009)

Postby Srijita » Sat Aug 8, '09, 2:42 pm

Tragic that he died so young and so suddenly. My thoughts are with his family. I haven't seen most of his films, but enjoyed Breakfast Club as an in-flight movie (despite being fairly standard school story fare, it succeeds in mocking stereotypes and underscoring the need to look beneath the surface, rather than rely on superficial impressions). Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck follow the same general trend as comedy films with a heart.

I've just checked Wiki and it turns out that his writing credits were even more extensive, including teen classics like Pretty in Pink and the first Beethoven film - throwbacks, perhaps, to a more innocent era, but films my generation grew up with. :) He'll be missed.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Feature Films