Digital Homicide sues Jim Sterling

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Digital Homicide sues Jim Sterling

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Mar 18, '16, 3:30 pm

Hard to avoid this story on the internet today.

http://kotaku.com/angered-game-develope ... 1765484317

I'm sorry, but criticizing lazily designed, bad games is not grounds for libel, slander or assault or accusing a single game critic who isn't even all that famous (well, not prior to this anyway) of being the sole reason that you haven't been successful is hogwash, to use a nicer term. I doubt this will get far in court, but if it does, I hope it's to actually clarify some of the grey areas of fair use, and not in a way that starts making criticism grounds for libel/slander.

If someone did actually send DH that package...well, of course that's inexcusable for whoever did it. But Jim can't control what his fans do, and nothing that he has said (to my knowledge) encourages nor incites his fans to harass DH, so holding him responsible for that is tenuous at best.

And in case anyone asks, yes, I am a fan of Jim Sterling. He's one of my top three "youtubers" (if I must), the others being Yahtzee and Angry Joe.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri Mar 18, '16, 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Digital Homicide sues Jim Sterling

Postby Hukos » Fri Mar 18, '16, 10:08 pm

There's a reason you're expected to have thick skin when you're making any kind of creative media.

So you don't become "that guy". Digital Homicide just became "that guy".
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Re: Digital Homicide sues Jim Sterling

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 19, '16, 1:22 pm

Yes, agreed. Not many people had heard of them before, but now their name will be much bigger and will have a scarlet letter A across their internet face. Such a bad move, especially for PR, regardless of one's feelings about Jim.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to In the News