Did you use a guide?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Did you use a guide?

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 15, '07, 4:40 am

When you played through each game for the first time, did you use any outside help or figure things out on your own? Be honest now, no taking credit for getting along on your own if you had help. :P

I used some maps in PSI and PSII. They were easy to get lost in, especially PSI. I went through PSIII and PSIV without any help. For PS Adventure, I used the first translation/walkthrough because I couldn't play it otherwise.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Did you use a guide?

Postby Zafneir » Mon Apr 16, '07, 5:33 am

On PS2 and 4, I had to go it alone. Ah, the good old days of not having internet. Anyway, I don't remember whether or not I had help for 3, aside from the random hints on the Sega Channel loading screen. I imagine that I did, on a limited scale, but I'm sure I did quite a bit myself. 1 on the other hand was an entirely different story. As it was easy enough to get lost, I often had to resort to looking for maps.

Nowadays, I only really use maps for PS1 as I've not replayed it as much as the others, and PS2 only for the maps to the dungeons for the Nei weapons quest. I remember PS4 inside and out, as it's one of the games I've replayed the most of the series, and it's hard for me to get lost in PS3.
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Sain Cai » Mon Apr 16, '07, 10:01 pm

I basically just use online maps, just for easier navigation nowadays. I went through PS3 & 4 without any help, online or off, the first few million times I played.
Sain Cai
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Lamanai » Mon Apr 16, '07, 10:19 pm

I used maps (and a walkthrough when I got really stuck) for PSI, and just maps for 2. What I've finished in 3 I did on my own and all of PSIV was done on my own (unless you count looking up the combo list :wink: )
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Neithird » Tue Apr 17, '07, 7:29 pm

I didn't use any help on PS3 or PS4. I wished I had on PS4... it was a rental and I beat it just in time to send it back to the store. I didn't get to see the ending until I played it again. If only I had a map in one or two of those dungeons... ah well! Like Zafneir said, that was back before the internet. I didn 't have access to any maps even if I wanted to use them.

I used some maps on PS1 and PS2. I still do if I manage to get lost in them now and then.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Lamanai » Wed Apr 18, '07, 8:51 pm

Neithird wrote:Like Zafneir said, that was back before the internet.

Off-topic, but that reminded me of the most random thing. I told my little brother (12 years old) that when I was a kid "there was basically no internet." I swear his jaw dropped and the first thing he thought to say was "Then how did you look up walkthroughs!?!" :roll:

</offtopic>
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 19, '07, 12:43 am

:rofl: That's a great story. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Jun 9, '07, 2:02 am

I used the hintbook that game with PSII back in the day, and thought it necessary to buy the one for III too. But I took on PSI all on my lonesome, and never could get the top of the last dungeon until it was re-released for the GBA. Then I used some maps. PSIV is the only one I finished all by myself!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby psivisthebestelysdeon » Tue Feb 19, '08, 5:38 pm

no because phantasy star is so fun that i don,t want to use them
psivisthebestelysdeon
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby Shinuzzo » Tue Feb 19, '08, 10:04 pm

I think it would be almost impossible to complete PS II without any outside knowledge. The game never tells where to find the keys to the dams.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Next

Return to Classic Series