Did you hear about the removed enemy in PSIV?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re: Did you hear about the removed enemy in PSIV?

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jul 6, '10, 9:44 am

One's gotta question though. Why didn't they remove the third form of The Profound Darkness?
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Solar » Tue Jul 6, '10, 10:12 am

Atlinsmere wrote:One's gotta question though. Why didn't they remove the third form of The Profound Darkness?

Neithird wrote:These look a lot more human-like than the Darkness. It had all those spiny protrusions coming out of the back, so it's more clearly a monster.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Jul 6, '10, 12:02 pm

Xander wrote:A good point actually. Though maybe Sega had some complaints about the ones in PS III and had to change them out, that's my guess. But it could probably be to do with some age rating nonsense too. While it may not be as bad as it can be today, the censorship stuff was probably still a pain for developers even then.

A good point, and it sounds probable that the images in PSIII were an issue, unfortunately. I don't get the big deal, nonetheless, but - whatev.

Atlinsmere wrote:One's gotta question though. Why didn't they remove the third form of The Profound Darkness?

:lol: Word!
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Tanith » Tue Jul 6, '10, 1:40 pm

I think they look really silly. Part of me is a little bummed they were removed, because I don't like censorship, but honestly, these things look... weird. Why are their you-know-whats so high on their chests? They're not proportioned correctly at all. Never really cared much of the final version of PD either, though. She wasn't scary or impressive at all. Just a typical Japanese monster. Ho hum.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Celeith » Tue Jul 6, '10, 11:41 pm

You know what would be messed up? If Sega (EN) didn't remove it cause of Censorship but instead removed them to make the Profound Darkness' final form seem like a mystery.. I mean if you look at them all they are are a smaller, less spikey version of PD.. Anyways.. another thing that would be funny is if the trigger wasn't locked for the encounter.. But instead there was like a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000001% chance that it would spawn >.< and noone has gotten that point yet.
Last edited by Celeith on Tue Jul 6, '10, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby xellos667 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 2:38 am

I never read about those ennemies before I met them in person while playing the Japanese version of PSIV on the Sega Saturn Phantasy Star Collection. I was in awe of seeing them so many years after having completed so many time PSIV on the Genesis, thinking I couldnt find anything new in this game. Of course, it must have been already a well known fact back then, but I was glad I manage to saw them myself without any prior knowledge of their existence.

But indeed...why the Profoud Darkness and not those???
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby OhNoHumans » Sun Jul 11, '10, 9:47 am

Because SEGA could not end it with just the second form. SoA (and maybe SoJ helping or whatever) would not just have to think of another appearance, but also another regular attack (at the very least). People would more than likely find out and it would just be too drastic a change.

Tanith I agree. They are definitely not taken from shoulder level, that's for sure. >.> (sorry sorry sorry... if that even makes sense!) They are supposed to be aliens, but I guess just too similar yet dissimilar...

Anyway check those screens out, the bottom part. I guess you could rename your characters but SoA disabled that feature. :ziplip:
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby H-Man » Sun Jul 11, '10, 12:12 pm

Interestingly enough, if you play MIRACLE WARRIORS for the Master System, the main boss is a naked green woman with wings and claws, and no attempt whatsoever is made to cover up her bare (and rather large) *. Maybe they let the boss in both games go because they assume that not all gamers will be able to make it to them.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 11, '10, 9:30 pm

Miracle Warriors would have been around before the big push for ratings on games. Back then, Sega could have slipped that one by without too many complaints. Not everyone would have reached it, as mentioned.

In a way, it's amazing how much attitudes toward content in games has changed over the past two decades. Today we can look at things like this and think it's not important enough to censor. Back then, though, Sega was taking a lot of heat for nudity and sexual content in games on their systems. They even prevented some games from being sold in certain areas because of it. For them, it was probably better to err on the side of caution at the time.
Last edited by Thoul on Sun Jul 11, '10, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Scootaloo » Sat Mar 29, '14, 8:00 pm

Nice! Too bad they had to be removed, anyway, why does the stronger one's attack caled "Star Dust" have the beams target death party members shown in the picture, it is also a good thing they had to be removed, they would spoil the PD3.
Last edited by Scootaloo on Sun Apr 13, '14, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 48

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star IV