Did you buy them new or used?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Postby hugues » Tue Oct 30, '07, 9:17 pm

Neithird wrote:Wow! I never knew they had something like that. I would have liked to get a copy of that too. It must have been the first ever Sega hint guide. :starry-eyed:

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think it was ever for sale. The only way to get it was work for the Sega tip line or call them so often they got sick of you. If it was a 900 I suppose they'd be thrilled if you called every night but it was an 800 number back then. Good ole' 1-800-USA-SEGA
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

hehe..

Postby Heikabuchi » Wed Oct 31, '07, 12:18 am

I played Phantasy Star 4 on Sega Channel (if anybody remembers what that is). After that, I was hooked. I rented PS4 for the first time when I was 6, then I kept on renting it on and off for a little over a year... I got banned from playing it by my parents until I was 12... so... I guess I bought my first copy, used, from Ebay when I was 12. Just last year, my poor cartidge went the way of my honored Shining Force 1 cartidge and finaly lost it's battery power... A year later I got another copy at a local game shop ( FOR $10!! JOMG!! THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT KIND OF A TREASURE THEY HAD!!!). Now I play it on a KGEN rom... My dead cartridge sits on my bedshelf in a shadowbox with the words "Broken, but never forgotten" carved into the frame. Ah... Phantasy Star 4... My first love... May you live on forever. -tear-
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Heikabuchi » Wed Oct 31, '07, 12:19 am

hugues wrote:
Neithird wrote:Wow! I never knew they had something like that. I would have liked to get a copy of that too. It must have been the first ever Sega hint guide. :starry-eyed:

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think it was ever for sale. The only way to get it was work for the Sega tip line or call them so often they got sick of you. If it was a 900 I suppose they'd be thrilled if you called every night but it was an 800 number back then. Good ole' 1-800-USA-SEGA

Ah, yes... Those were the good ol' days. =]
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 1, '07, 6:15 pm

A year later I got another copy at a local game shop ( FOR $10!! JOMG!! THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT KIND OF A TREASURE THEY HAD!!!).

Nice find! :D I've noticed that Phantasy Star games are often underrated by sellers. I suppose it's because the game never became a big mainstream hit, like Final Fantasy that is known to so many people outside of gaming fans.

:rofl: I know that if I had been playing the game back then, they would have wound up sending me one. I got stuck soooo many times in my first playing. I had to look up some stuff now and again, but the internet was already widespread by then.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: Did you buy them new or used?

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 22, '09, 5:00 am

Phantasy Star - Used from a local game store, $5.

Phantasy Star II - Used, complete with hint book, in a system bundle from a local classified ad. Thinking the average cost of each game in that lot came to $4.

Phantasy Star III - Used, same person that PSII came from, but no hint book.

Phantasy Star IV - Used, complete, same game store that PSI came from, $20.

Phantasy Star Online: Network Trial - Used, complete, from Ebay. Believe it was $30, but could be wrong.

Phantasy Star Online - New, from a Goodwill Emporium of all places, $10.

Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 - New, Ebay, $15.

Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 (DC) - New, don't recall which store it was bought at or what I paid.

PSO: Episodes 1&2 (XB) - Used, complete, same store as PS1 & PSIV, $20. Purchased one week after the game was released, thought I was getting a deal. Considering it was unplayable without an XBL account this was a rip off though. Even now every GameStop is flooded with copies that they can't even get rid of at $2.25.

PSO: Episodes 1&2 (GC) - Used, complete, pawn shop, $10.

PSO: Episodes 3 (GC) - New, Ebay, don't recall the price paid, but pretty sure it was under $20.

PSO: Blue Burst: Trial Edition (PC JP) - New, Ebay, part of a very special lot of stuff. Don't recall what the price was, but can tell you it wasn't cheap.

CGW #252 Demo Disc - The only way, to my knowledge, that Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst was ever distributed in a physical form outside of Japan. Used, thrift store, $2.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 9:10 am

I bought all of mine used.

PSIV I bought first and I was browsing through old genesis games at a smiths when they where getting rid of their stock. I had to beg my mom to buy it for me and I loved it right away.

After that, I bought Phantasy Star II and III from Funco Land before they shut down. I couldn't ever find the original though. But I later got to play it when I bought Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA new.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Lucas » Mon Jun 22, '09, 9:17 am

I only own the original Phantasy Star Cartridge for Sega Master System which I bought used from a Games Exchange store about 3 years ago for $19.95 AUD complete with case, cartridge and manual and it all works well much cheaper than what I've seen for it on Ebay Australia *cough $150 cough*.

As for the rest of the series I only own them in ROM format and on my Sega Mega Drive Collection for my PS2.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 9:51 am

Wow, that's awesome :D Unfortunately none of mine came with any booklets and my PSII one was just the cartridge. Though I know the guide books are still expensive. I spent 60 dollars on the US one of PSIV, about thirty dollars on the PS II one that's in japanese, and only fifteen on the PSIII English one.

I still can't find the Compendium book though...it eludes me..and haunts my dreams >.< lol
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 22, '09, 1:57 pm

Phantasy Star I - Used[complete] along with about 9 other SMS games for $40 on ebay [yeah it was a steal back then]

Phantasy Star II - Used from a game store in the mall. After talking to a friend of mine he suggested I get it before someone else did and I ran out and bought it the next day

Phantasy Star III - Used from same game store in mall along with my first ever Genesis.

Phantasy Star IV - Brand new from Kaybee Toys for 19.99!

Of course PSO, PSU, The Phantasy Star Collection for GBA I all bought new the day they came out.

Edit : Both Phantasy Star II & III guidebooks I bought used off of Ebay for around 10.00 each. I wish I had PSIV's guidebook but I know now that if look for it then it'll be expensive. Some of the other books I'd love to get my hands on but those would be too pricey as well.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:19 pm

Darkil wrote:Edit : Both Phantasy Star II & III guidebooks I bought used off of Ebay for around 10.00 each. I wish I had PSIV's guidebook but I know now that if look for it then it'll be expensive. Some of the other books I'd love to get my hands on but those would be too pricey as well.

I know ;_; But I think when I do get ready to buy them, I'll go through a japanese purchasing site. The commission will cost 15 dollars for each bid, but I think it'll be worth it. I tried bidding for the compendium, but I was outbid at the last minute >.<
I hate Ebay for doing nothing but paypal, but I'm also glad at the same time because I don't have to deal with people outbidding me in the last moment either.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Series