Did Rune know Zio?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Did Rune know Zio?

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri May 21, '10, 12:50 am

This question occurred to me today as I read something PSIV-related. Alys as well as Rune make comments alluding to knowing Zio, or, at least knowing "of" him in the game. At the beginning of the game in Piata, Alys says, "Zio! That fake magician!" Later in Tonoe, Rune drops a big hint to Chaz and company about not being ready to face Zio. After the Zio fight and Alys gets hurt, we find that Rune's already looking for the psycho wand. I wonder if Rune was planning on facing Zio himself? Maybe he had a premonition of Zio inevitably hurting Alys?

I can't help but wonder, even, if Zio and Rune once had a confrontation of some kind pre-PSIV. Considering that Rune and Alys were once companions while living with Galf, Alys may have heard about Zio through Rune or, perhaps, from Zio's own reputation in Motavia.

What does everyone else think?

Disclaimer: This is all storyline speculation, I don't think Rune or the other characters are real. :lol:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Did Rune know Zio?

Postby Rick » Fri May 21, '10, 1:51 am

Well Zio does wear the same armor as the Earthmen and speaks just like them..

Maybe Zio was a frozen Earthman who awoke 1000 years later to carry on the will of the Earthmen and destroy Mota?

Kinda like Siren wakes up in 1000 years and Lune in Ps 3..

Remember, he did cause Birth Valley to make Biomonsters just like NeiFirst did..

Compendium wise the PD wanted both actions to be done..

Or maybe Zio was a Esper who disagreed?
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Fri May 21, '10, 2:02 am

I don't think Rune would have known Zio personally, but would definitely have been aware of Zio's connection to Dark Force. If there is one thing Zio is not, it's subtle. Unlike Lassic or Mother Brain, Zio did not keep his motivations secret while trying to conquer the world. Instead, Zio's got a huge public church covered with idols of Dark Force. For Rune, that building alone would be a huge indication that it's time to break out the Lutz tools.

Zio also destroyed several towns before Molcum. Even on a world like Motavia, word of that would spread. A few survivors might have made it to Aiedo, spreading news and rumors that reached the Hunters Guild and Alys.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Fri May 21, '10, 2:15 am

Rick wrote:Or maybe Zio was a Esper who disagreed?

Now that would be interesting! He'd be sort of like the "Lucifer" of the Espers.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri May 21, '10, 7:12 am

Thoul wrote:

I don't think Rune would have known Zio personally, but would definitely have been aware of Zio's connection to Dark Force. If there is one thing Zio is not, it's subtle. Unlike Lassic or Mother Brain, Zio did not keep his motivations secret while trying to conquer the world. Instead, Zio's got a huge public church covered with idols of Dark Force. For Rune, that building alone would be a huge indication that it's time to break out the Lutz tools.

Zio also destroyed several towns before Molcum. Even on a world like Motavia, word of that would spread. A few survivors might have made it to Aiedo, spreading news and rumors that reached the Hunters Guild and Alys.

Very insightful and interesting, Thoul. You're right that Zio was not subtle, in fact the man seemed to love the attention - he had groupies, practically. :D

Rick wrote:Or maybe Zio was a Esper who disagreed?

I'm with Tanith in that I really like this thought! It would make sense, explain his powers, and why Rune felt that he needed to stop him.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri May 21, '10, 10:25 am

I have a theory that Zio may have been exiled from the EsperMansion (presuming he is an Esper, he has Flaeli and Hewn, after all.) since he might have used his powers in a way that was frowned upon by the Esper elders. And was forced to eke out an existence by himself on Motavia. He could also have been born with a deformed hand, and that he had to endure endless insults and mockery by the local townsfolk in Kadary, or whichever town he may have stumbled across.

His resentment basically grew to such an extent that he was filled with a boiling, indescribable hate for everything and everyone around him, and Dark Force, who preys on such emotions, would have found him a perfect candidate to take hold of and use him as a vessel for the PD itself.

Here's an extract from my fan-game... It's an extra cutscene before the party fights Zio for the 2nd time.

Zio:You have no idea...It was driving me mad...All I wanted to know was how to embrace my Esper powers...I was shunned from society, Alys... I tried to ignore it, the power within me, but it built up within in me to such an extent that it exploded outward at unpredictable moments. My derformity of my left hand only made it worse. People shunned me, taunted me, left psychological scars in me that would never heal, Alys. I wanted them to pay...Then of course...my master came for me.

So, that's my theory. So I agree with Rick that Zio may have been an exiled Esper.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Rick » Sat May 22, '10, 12:21 am

Zio's hand was monsterized by Dark Force according to the compendium if I recall.

Lashiec had a staff, Nei-First had her sword, Zio has a clawlike hand reminiscient of Dark Force..

Zio's hand looks almost exactly like the kind of hand NM-2011 and Nei have in the memorial drama cd...

Didn't Nei First also attack with a deformed claw attack?

Zio
A black magician who worships Dark Force. He has founded an evil cult and made Nurvus run amok to cause destruction. He wears a gauntlet on only one arm to hide the fact that his right arm has been monster-fied [sorry, there isn't really another English equivalent - his hand is kinda gnarled and "demonized", comme ça]. He is the opponent in the first half of the tale.

http://sceneryrecalled.com/trans/zioshand.jpg

Interesting side note about Juza:

Juza
Zio's second-in-command, who confronts Rudy and company at Zio's Fort. At first glance, he appears to be an ordinary human, but is body is actually that of a monster.

Could that form have been the Gy-lugaiah they fought in Ladea Tower? Or the Chaos Sorcerer on the shuttle or the D-em-lars?
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat May 22, '10, 12:38 am

Very interesting info, Rick. It seemingly parallels with Anakin Skywalker's/Darth Vader's storyline. :glasses-slip:

I can visualize Zio being a fomer member (AKA Esper) at the Espermansion, and feeling enticed by the "dark side" of magic, inevitably answering Dark Force's call. Zio seems annoyed at humans in general, so perhaps he is a bit of a sociopath, in addition to being jealous of Rune's outshining abilities as the 5th generation Lutz (that jealousy -- such an ugly monster), and feeling that he could better Rune and become more powerful if he joined forces with the Dark One... whom Rune was aware of, and it's growing power.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby thepeaguy » Sat May 22, '10, 12:38 am

No, Zio and Rune do not know each other. He's only aware of how Zio acquired his magic power (through Dark Force likely).

Zio had no background story. He was meant to mislead the players that he was the main villain when in actuality he was just a subordinate of a greater evil. Our only hope for Zio to have more of a backstory is a PS4 remake.
thepeaguy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Tanith » Sat May 22, '10, 1:51 am

thepeaguy wrote:Our only hope for Zio to have more of a backstory is a PS4 remake.

Or fanfic.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV