Did Rune break the fourth wall?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Did Rune break the fourth wall?

Postby Thoul » Tue Sep 30, '08, 2:49 am

Remember the scene when Rune leaves with Dorin? He says something to Chaz that, in hindsight is mighty suspicious.
Rune: At this stage of the game, you're no match for [Zio]! Maybe our paths will cross again. Alys...

Given the part I've emphasized, do you think he was really talking to Chaz, or to the players? It seems kind of cold for Rune to call what the party's doing (at the time, trying to save Zema) a game, doesn't it?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Sep 30, '08, 7:21 am

I've wondered about this, too... but he was talking to Chaz, I think, and it was just a figure of speech.

Being the fifth generation Lutz, I can't help but wonder if Rune had a premonition of sorts in regards to Zio... and some catastrophe happening as a result.

Rune can come across as harsh, but he always means well, and is just really misunderstood. :heart: :cloud9: :heartbeat:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Chris8282 » Tue Sep 30, '08, 4:33 pm

Clearly, Rune knew that he was not a real person with a soul but was, in fact, a fictitional video game character. He acts like the above poster said because he knows he's one of the best damn fictional characters EVAAAR in a video game :D

I imagine the characters in the game are bit like the characters in the Star Ocean JRPG series.

*MAAAAAAADDDDD BAAAAAAD SPOILERS*
They, in the game, are fictitional characters in a video game but develop souls somehow that boggles the minds of the coders

Clearly, Rune has done in REAL LIFE what the above mentioned characters did in the game :D Rune is watching and playing all of us! WE ARE THE GAME!!!
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Sep 30, '08, 9:07 pm

Chris8282 wrote:Clearly, Rune knew that he was not a real person with a soul but was, in fact, a fictitional video game character. He acts like the above poster said because he knows he's one of the best damn fictional characters EVAAAR in a video game :D

I imagine the characters in the game are bit like the characters in the Star Ocean JRPG series.

*MAAAAAAADDDDD BAAAAAAD SPOILERS*
They, in the game, are fictitional characters in a video game but develop souls somehow that boggles the minds of the coders

Clearly, Rune has done in REAL LIFE what the above mentioned characters did in the game :D Rune is watching and playing all of us! WE ARE THE GAME!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Bless your socks, I needed that laugh. :lol:

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

But hey! Must you remind Rune's rabid fangirls (ahem, moi) that he is fictional!? *sniff* And here I was, dreaming for the blue-haired god to sweep me off my feet!

Only in my fantasies, I guess. *Cries*
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Srijita » Wed Oct 1, '08, 3:30 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Rune_Walsh wrote:...he was talking to Chaz, I think, and it was just a figure of speech.

That Rune was breaking the fourth wall at this point seems to be a popular conception among PS4 players. However, I strongly concur with your interpretation, hon: he was just talking to Chaz, although he fully intended for Alys and Gryz to overhear his warning.

“At this stage of the game” is quite a common idiomatic expression. References to games and playing are abundant in colloquial English – for example, “game plan”, “giving the game away”, and “having fun and games”. The latter usually refers to some difficult or troublesome activity, as in: “We had fun and games trying to get the system up and running again.”

I'd be curious to know the text of the original Japanese version during this scene.

Being the fifth generation Lutz, I can't help but wonder if Rune had a premonition of sorts in regards to Zio... and some catastrophe happening as a result.

I agree, he may well have had a premonition... At a more pragmatic level, however, Rune knew that the group wouldn't have a prayer against Zio without the Psycho Wand to neutralise his magic barrier. It was the Psycho Wand Rune was on his way to obtain; without it, catastrophe was almost inevitable.

Rune can come across as harsh, but he always means well, and is just really misunderstood.

Yes, I’d go so far as to say that Rune Walsh is probably one of the most misunderstood characters in the annals of classic video game history. :)
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Chris8282 » Wed Oct 1, '08, 4:36 pm

Yes, it's true that Rune WAS a fictitional character.. But like the characters in the above game, he developed a soul and find out about our world.. He came here to become... much more...

Now, he is the controller of our universe. PHEAR RUNE!!! PLAI MOAR PHANTASY STAR IV!!!!
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Dorrinal » Thu Oct 2, '08, 8:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Dramatic_irony

Rune is talking to Chaz; this thread is evidence that we've picked up on the irony.
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby luke » Sun Oct 5, '08, 7:13 pm

i think rune/lutz transcends expressions, words, language, irony, worlds, generations, and the human experience. we cannot even begin to understand the world(s) rune walsh may or may not have created.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Postby Chris8282 » Mon Oct 6, '08, 2:24 am

We understand one... We are living in it.. This entire existence is just a daydream of the great Rune.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Celeith » Fri Nov 7, '08, 4:41 pm

Theres only one thing that kinda annoys me about Rune in this situation. If Rune knows that the only way to defeat Zio is by using the Psyco Wand and he also knows that Alys and co. have no chance against Zio he pretty much sent them off on a death mission. Just think for a second, Rune has known Alys for quite some time, so he would know that she wouldn't back down from a job, no matter what. Her job started from monsters in the Piata academy, worked its way towards reviving Holt and the town Zema from stone as requested by Hahn, moved itself to helping Holt and Rika rescue Demi from Zio, which ultimately ended up in Alys losing her life. If Rune hadn't of been hiding so much from everyone and would have taken Alys and co. with him to the Ladea tower to get the wand then maybe Alys wouldn't have died. Although maybe this is why Rune feels some guilt in the game for her death because he knows that he could have done something if he would of made a different decision.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV