Did Rhys' parents approve?

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Did Rhys' parents approve?

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 1, '07, 12:23 pm

As I was writing a profile for Lena this morning, I was thinking about her situation was Rhys. She and Rhys were engaged, apparently by their parents without any input from the two of them, from a young age. But then Rhys finds Maia and decides to marry her. Lena doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but how do you think Rhys' parents would have felt about it? Their son has suddenly decided to cast off ties with the neighboring kingdom for this amnesiac girl from who-knows-where.

And then when Maia gets kidnapped, rather than supporting a search and rescue, the king throws Rhys in the dungeon. Aside from Rhys setting out on his own, there's no attempt to find Maia at all. Could it be that Rhys' parents didn't approve and were actually glad to see Maia gone?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 1, '07, 4:04 pm

I read on a Japanese site that they didn't approve at all (but eventually warmed up to the idea), which is understandable, as they had already chosen a fiancee for him and he just ignored his parents' wedding arrangements for Maia.

I don't think his father really cared much with his reaction, too. So I do believe you're right.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Oct 2, '07, 12:56 am

Thoul, I think you're exactly right. To have their plans for determining his marriage thrown out, and losing out on the annexation of Satera would likely not have made Rhys's parents too happy. They probably did see her kidnap as a blessing.

Here's a completely crazy fanfic idea: Saiki, or the Queen saw Maia using a Tech in the castle, so they contacted the Layans, Lyle, to stage her kidnap to re-institute their plan. They were hoping Rhys would give up if she were kidnapped, and when he vowed to rescue her, they threw him in the dungeon. :shiftyeyes: Conspiracy theory, PSIII style... :dizzy: :footinmouth:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Tue Oct 2, '07, 1:08 am

The $ Avenger wrote:Here's a completely crazy fanfic idea: Saiki, or the Queen saw Maia using a Tech in the castle, so they contacted the Layans, Lyle, to stage her kidnap to re-institute their plan. They were hoping Rhys would give up if she were kidnapped, and when he vowed to rescue her, they threw him in the dungeon. :shiftyeyes: Conspiracy theory, PSIII style... :dizzy: :footinmouth:

I've seen something like that for Lena (which I never found suiting), but this does seem possible. :o However, I don't think Saiki could've contacted any Layans (as they didn't know the existance of other worlds and there are none in Landen)...unless Lyle was the one who contacted them after learning about Maia and they negotiated a deal.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 2, '07, 5:32 am

That could explain something else, too. Lyle stole the Sapphire from the royal family, but there's no one out looking for the thief. Maybe they let him take it as part of a plot to get rid of Maya.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Oct 3, '07, 1:58 am

Thoul wrote:That could explain something else, too. Lyle stole the Sapphire from the royal family, but there's no one out looking for the thief. Maybe they let him take it as part of a plot to get rid of Maya.
Ha! Good point. I always wondered about the origins of Lyle having the Sapphire.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby hugues » Tue Dec 4, '07, 1:09 am

I can't imagine they approved. I always assumed that's why he had to renounce the Landen throne when he married Maia.

I like all the conspiracy theories - I've always thought there was more to the Lyle/Lena relationship than we're being told.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 4, '07, 6:19 am

How would they have contacted the Layans though, Layans hadn't been seen for over 1000 years! XD They were possibly contacted yes. lol, he was already supposed to marry Lena? That would explain why she just randomly shows up in the dungeon to free you. Instead of some random woman you eventually marry. XDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Re: Did Rhys' parents approve?

Postby H-Man » Wed Sep 29, '10, 12:39 pm

Here's a question I thought of recently (not quite on topic, but similar): If Ayn went ahead and married Sari, what do you think the reaction of Rhys and Maia (especially the former) would be to that arrangement?
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Re: Did Rhys' parents approve?

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 29, '10, 7:12 pm

Hm, interesting question! I think they would have been happy for Ayn, assuming he was in love with Sari. Maia might be disappointed that Thea wasn't going to become a closer part of the family, but would probably be supportive of Ayn anyway.

This question makes me wonder if Rhys and Maia attended the wedding. That would have been interesting to see. Rhys, the outcast and prodigal son, returning after abandoning his people? That would have really shaken those wandering NPCs up and given them some new dialogue. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III