Did Orakio and Laya survive?

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Did Orakio and Laya survive?

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 15, '07, 2:01 pm

In PSIII, we're told that Orakio and Laya eventually, after a long war, joined forces to confront Dark Force. After they left, no one ever saw them again. It's hinted that they fought Dark Force in a palace that later sank to the bottom of the sea. Do you think Orakio or Laya survived the battle, or were they lost when the palace dropped beneath the waves?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 15, '07, 4:32 pm

I think neither one of them lived. The sunken palace at the bottom of the lake suggests that neither one of them survived that battle, giving it the sort of feeling that they died to ensure that Dark Force remained sealed.

A reason why I think the palace in the water to begin with was to prevent anyone (or the wrong person) from removing Orakio's sword from the seal. I don't doubt that they had it all planned, as they took other precautions to end the war and stop Dark Force from doing any more damage.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Tue Oct 16, '07, 2:02 am

I believe someone had to make it out of that battle alive. People in a nearby village knew Dark Force was sealed in the palace, right? For them to know that, someone had to tell them about it after the sealing. Even if the sinking was planned in advanced someone had to pass on that knowledge.

I think if one of them did make it out, they would have died shortly after from their wounds. If Laya made it out to the Orakian town and no one recognized her, that could explain no one seeing them again.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 16, '07, 6:07 am

I think they both perished just before or during the sinking of the temple. They might have been washed out of it, but if so they probably drowned at sea.

As for someone letting others know that the seal was in place, I think there may have been a third person fighting DF alongside Orakio and Laya. I think it was probably Miun. Once, I thought Lune and Siren were in on it, too, but I've come to the conclusion that this doesn't mesh with the timing of events well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Yoshi » Tue Oct 16, '07, 9:11 pm

I believe they both survived to live and fight another battle another day.
Yoshi
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 102

Postby Neithird » Wed Oct 17, '07, 5:19 am

Miun? I guess that could work. She's not accounted for at that time is she? Lune and Siren would have been on the moons by then.

It might explain Miun's insanity too, if she was damaged by Dark Force.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby hugues » Sat Oct 20, '07, 12:14 am

I always thought they died, otherwise they would have returned to spread the truth to their respective followers. I think they would have spent their remaining years trying to establish peace.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Neithird » Sat Oct 20, '07, 5:35 am

That makes me wonder, why didn't they try to spread the truth before leaving for the fight? It makes sense that they would try to work out a peaceful end to the fighting if they lived, but why not set that into motion before leaving, instead of closing passages?

Welcome to the forum, hugues! :D
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Tsunami » Sat Oct 20, '07, 5:01 pm

Neithird wrote:That makes me wonder, why didn't they try to spread the truth before leaving for the fight? It makes sense that they would try to work out a peaceful end to the fighting if they lived, but why not set that into motion before leaving, instead of closing passages?

When it comes to the mystery behind the Devastation War, I think anything goes as far as the truth is concerned. (as long as there's some amount of logic behind it :D)

Maybe they didn't the time to tell their followers the truth, as Dark Force needed to be taken care of immediately to save the worldship. Or maybe they wouldn't have believed them anyways. Who would trust a leader who'd say out of the blue, "Hey, guess what? The war's over, and Laya's not really a witch after all." :mrgreen:

After fighting in that war and being told that Laya was the enemy the entire time, they may have thought that Orakio was possessed by her or something. :lol: On Laya's end, it could've been the same case.

I think that's why Orakio and Laya left behind similar messages, telling them to kill no living thing. Sure, the law may have been odd in times of war, but it was simple enough to work without any explantion behind it.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Sun Oct 21, '07, 10:00 am

That makes good sense to me. :up: If one of them suddenly came out and said the other wasn't the enemy, I could see a lot of :eyebrow: going on.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Return to Phantasy Star III