Dezoris Eclipse (more piano!)

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Dezoris Eclipse (more piano!)

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Jan 9, '13, 10:21 pm

Hey! The piano was (kinda) tuned!

I wanted to do something with PSI, as the original is and always will be my favorite of the series. My first idea was to just do a medley, but then as I was thinking about it, I realized 1) anyone can just stick the songs together with a couple transitions, and 2) the Dezoris theme had a lot to work with on its own.

So then I was going to do some sort of theme and variation type thing with Dezoris, and as I was working it out, I realized two more things: 1) when I put certain chords to it, those chords reminded me of the Palma theme, and 2) Snorb had mentioned to me that he heard some similarities in the beginnings of the Motavia and Dezoris themes. After some casual analysis, I realized that the first half of each theme shares very similar chord structures, and I could probably do something with that.

I started off stating the Dezoris theme nice and slow, very relaxed. The second time through, I added some chords to the right-hand accompaniment and then transitioned into the Palma theme. In the third statement, I added the Motavia theme on top. With the fourth, I just messed around a little. :D (And I couldn't resist using a Picardy third and quoting the Palma theme again at the very end!)

In the original, the phrases are asymmetrical in the first half (which I'd never really paid attention to before). I left it as is for the first two statements, and then extended it so it would align with the Motavia theme (and then because the asymmetry was bugging me :wink: ).

The sound quality's still pretty yucky. We're hoping to upgrade our electronics come tax return time! :p

Enough talking!:
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Re: Dezoris Eclipse (more piano!)

Postby myau56 » Wed Jan 9, '13, 11:17 pm

Excellent work, as was your "ancient" piano work on Green Grasses and Azura Skies ! The two are great pieces and you are very gifted with a piano !
The sound quality isn't totally good but you can heard it really clearly and that's the most important.
Congratulations ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Xander » Mon Jan 14, '13, 10:48 pm

Well it certainly sounds a lot more in-tune than last time. (though you need a new camcorder... ;) )

In any case, great stuff again. Though it reminded me how long it's been since I last tried PSI. Almost forgot which one was which. So yeah, great stuff. :D

So when's the next one due? ;)
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Jan 16, '13, 10:35 pm

Thanks, guys! (And yes, Xandrew, you must replay PSI. It's the bestest! 8) )

I'm tossing around some ideas for something involving some of the town themes in the series, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I also hope to get a new computer next month, and maybe, just maybe, I can work out something better sound-wise. (Don't get your hopes up too high, though; there's a reason I wasn't a recording major in college. :wink: )
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 17, '13, 12:28 pm

AUGMENTEDFOURTH : You're right ! PSI is the bestets of all ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Xander » Fri Jan 18, '13, 5:51 pm

I'll get to it...eventually. ;)
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Jan 18, '13, 9:12 pm

One of the things I have to say straight up is that this piece made me completely jealous, and I absolutely love the title. The Dezoris theme is easily the most underrated one in the first game, it's an amazing piece, and no one ever covers it, so that's awesome, first of all. And then to have woven in all the other strands is pretty amazing, and probably took a heck of a lot of work. Probably the most elaborate and inventive Phantasy Star arrangement I've heard.

I was actually working on doing some sort of recording of this theme at some point, had the song all figured out, and could never come up with a good way to do it, and was just recently thinking about recording it straight, but now you've put this one out and driven me into depression. Awesome work, and thanks for arranging and covering this awesome music. Just like after the last one, I can't wait to see what you do next.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 18, '13, 9:38 pm

BRAGATYR : I've never found the Dezoris field theme to be a great theme but after having listened to augmentedfourth awesome piano work, it's amazingly great to listen to it again so ... thank you !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby jessie » Sun Jan 20, '13, 5:49 pm

Wonderful.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 39

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Jan 20, '13, 6:32 pm

Thanks so much! It's funny, to be honest, the Dezoris theme was always my least favorite of the three (not that it's bad; I just always thought the other two were a lot better). Now that I'm older and wiser, I guess (or at least one of those two :wink: ), I have a better appreciation for it.

Bragatyr - I'll admit to a "holy crap! I can't believe this worked!" moment or two when I was piecing the different themes together. It took what was already one of my most favorite games ever to a whole new level. (And I'm sorry if I inadvertently depressed you!)

Just like after the last one, I can't wait to see what you do next.

I have a couple ideas bouncing around my ears, but I am open to suggestions.... :D
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More