What kind of screen do you use?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

What kind of screen do you use?

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 8, '08, 1:51 am

These days there's a big push for more and more things to be in high definition. I was wondering, what kind of screen do you use to play games on? There's the old style CRT television, newer LCD tvs that are similar, projection screen tvs, and then the high definition screens. And that's not even getting into computer monitors, which are just as varied.

My tv is a CRT screen. I've never used anything else for a TV I'm comfortable with it. An LCD might be nice to have sometime, though. I use one of those for my PC and it has some great colors in it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Mon Dec 8, '08, 2:24 am

I play on my PC's monitor which is a CRT screen. I also play on a TV CRT screen... at least for now, since it's so hard to find a non-HD (decent) TV these days... so I'm guessing they will end which is a pity.

DVDs, games and everything made before 2007 will just be pixelated/interpolated/adulterated on the new HD TVs. The great thing that I liked in CRT was that I could play any kind of game (from DOS, Genesis/Megadrive/PS2/GBA/GB/PSX etc.) and it wouldn't show any pixel. Even the blu-rays movies don't look as perfect as I excepted.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Lucas » Mon Dec 8, '08, 3:57 am

I use a TV CRT screen :wink: . I've also heard some bad stories about LCD widescreen TV's too. lol one of my mates had one and he left it on pause for just that little bit to long and the image burnt itself onto the screen so you can seen the out line of one his dvds scenes on TV when its on. :lol:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Dec 8, '08, 4:06 am

I use a TV CRT screen. It has always worked for me. Also, the image burning to televisions can happen to any television. I just always found it harder to do on the older TVs.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 8, '08, 4:08 am

Image burning isn't limited to TVs. I have an old LCD monitor that suffered from it. Around the edges, you can see parts of a window burnt into the screen, like the close X button. Eventually I got a bigger, better brand to replace it because of that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tech and Design