Defensive spells (Deban/Warla/Blessing/Barrier)

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Postby newsblade » Sat Mar 22, '08, 9:19 pm

In spite of deban being the only shield power that spends "TP" is also the only one of those four that can cast the ultimate damage - Destruction. That's the greatest advantage of having deban to me. As opposite to combos like "firestorm", "blizzard", "shooting star", etc, an artificial deban (like Hahn’s) can't perform "Destruction", only a true one.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby 16-Bit-Crusader » Sun Mar 23, '08, 4:19 pm

I just fought those three annoying wizards you meet at the Air Castle (Yup, I'm repeating. <.<) and they kept killing all my characters. Finally, I gave up with Rune using Rever (Because it's really weak!), so Chaz, Rika, Wren and Rune ended up dying. That left Kyra. I figured that it was useless to make her attack, so I made her use a Repair-Kit instead. Along the second round Wren and Kyra were in, the girl was already on the brink of death, so she casted Warla to protect Wren for a last blow. She died, and Wren's first move alone was Barrier. There were two wizards left by then, and I laughed my head off to see the enemies cast GiWat and end up with a measly amount damage: 1 HP! :D

It turns out that defensive spells work best for the person who casts them. Kinda sad the Warla didn't work well with Wren, though. :(
16-Bit-Crusader
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Fogeltje » Mon Mar 24, '08, 3:14 pm

I think Wren's Barrier is actually more effective against techniques and the Deban family more effective against physical attacks. Androids have no mental points and high hitpoints and armour, so they can take physical blows and make up for the lack against techniques with the barrier.

newsblade wrote:In spite of deban being the only shield power that spends "TP" is also the only one of those four that can cast the ultimate damage - Destruction. That's the greatest advantage of having deban to me. As opposite to combos like "firestorm", "blizzard", "shooting star", etc, an artificial deban (like Hahn’s) can't perform "Destruction", only a true one.

I never use destruction actually because by the time I get Megid, character levels are usually that high that I do more damage when I cast each spell seperately since the Destruction is capped at 999.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Re: Defensive spells (Deban/Warla/Blessing/Barrier)

Postby Scootaloo » Sun May 3, '15, 12:08 pm

Barrier increases magic defence, so without Barrier, Dark Force 2's Shadow Breath could do about 200-240 damage, with Barrier it could do about 150-170.

Deban, Blessing and Warla increase physical defence.
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 48

Postby R-90-2 » Sun May 3, '15, 2:54 pm

Scootaloo wrote:Barrier increases magic defence, so without Barrier, Dark Force 2's Shadow Breath could do about 200-240 damage, with Barrier it could do about 150-170.

Deban, Blessing and Warla increase physical defence.

Defensive skills have always been a big part of any playthrough I care to do. Basically, Deban/Warla/Blessing reduce physical damage by an amount equal to the caster's Mental stat, and Barrier reduces magic damage by an amount based on the android's strength.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby FreshFeeling » Thu Nov 12, '15, 10:01 pm

Deban, Warla and Blessing are functionally identical: they raise the whole party's defense by an amount equal to the user's Mental. Since Kyra's Mental is better than Rika's Mental and Raja's is better than Kyra's, it ends up that (generally) Blessing > Warla > Deban.

Barrier is different. It raises the whole party's magic defense or energy resistance or whatever you want to call it (it's unnamed in the game) by an amount equal to the user's Strength. Generally, Wren's Barrier will be better than Demi's.

Whichever effect on a stat is most recently takes precedent. This means using Deban after Warla or Blessing would be a bad idea. Barrier, however, will stack with one of Deban, Warla or Blessing but not with itself.
FreshFeeling
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 23

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 21, '17, 12:35 pm

FRESHFEELING : thanks about the explanations !
I has always been very hard to know exactly what those defensive spells are doing at last ! But I think it's true : Barrier is against magical attacks and the three others (Deban, Warla and Blessing) is against all physical attacks ! But I didn't know that Deban was the weakest of the three last ones ! I know that I was only using DEBAN all the time but now (if I play the fourth one again) I'll try to use the other ones ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star IV