Data East Arcade Classics!

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Data East Arcade Classics!

Postby MrKite » Wed Feb 24, '10, 7:59 pm

Wow, what a great find! I got this for my Wii a few days ago, and I'm glad I did! It's only 20 bucks, and it's got 15 Data East games on it!:

Lock 'n' Chase
BurgerTime
Burnin' Rubber*
Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory
Express Raider*
Side Pocket
Heavy Barrel
SRD:Super Real Darwin
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja
Secret Agent
Crude Buster*
Caveman Ninja (ported to the home consoles as "Joe & Mac")
Wizard Fire
Street Hoop*
Magical Drop III

*-These are the european titles of these games, and I don't know why they used these versions of the games on this collection since it's a North American release.

NOTE:Crude Buster was also released on the Genesis/MegaDrive, but the US and PAL versions of that port were called "Two Crude Dudes".

Anyway, back to the collection. It's a great collection of arcade hits by a great company that can now be rediscovered by a whole new generation thanks to this collection. I have a few complaints though:1.There's no dip switch settings or anything for any of the games. Well I can't find one at least. I guess you have to enter a code or do some button combination or something. Also, the music quality in some of the games, such as Crude Buster is really muddy. That's really it though. Other than that, nice collection. Would've been nice if they also included Cobra Command and Road Blaster (aka Road Avenger) as unlockable bonuses.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Data East Arcade Classics!

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 24, '10, 11:33 pm

That sounds like a very nice collection, especially for that price. How is Side Pocket? My family used to play the NES version of that a lot back in the day.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Wed Feb 24, '10, 11:37 pm

I don't like the arcade version of Side Pocket as much as the NES and Genesis/SNES versions. It's too frustrating.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 24, '10, 11:43 pm

Hm, that's a pity. Still, there are some other good games on this collection. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up about!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Thu Feb 25, '10, 12:57 am

Hrmm, I'm not too familiar with these classics. I really do like arcade games though, so I should check it out.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Lucas » Thu Feb 25, '10, 2:51 am

Magical Drop III is fun :D . One of the most addicting puzzle games I ever played and all its character seem to be based off those crazy Tarot cards.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby MrKite » Thu Feb 25, '10, 3:56 am

Lemina wrote:Hrmm, I'm not too familiar with these classics. I really do like arcade games though, so I should check it out.

What a bummer. Many of the games in this collection were big hits when they came out. BurgerTime came out during the golden age of video arcades, and was a huge hit along with Centipede, Pac Man, etc. Bad Dudes is another highlight from this collection. It's a well known and to some extent loved game, but it's also been a target for parody.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Return to General Gaming