How would you prefer to play handheld games?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

How would you prefer to play handheld games?

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 24, '08, 12:16 am

Many handheld consoles have the ability to link up to a TV screen in someway, either through their own devices or adapters for consoles, like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player. When you're playing a handheld that supports such a feature, would you rather play the games on the original handheld system's screen or using a TV screen?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Reno » Thu Jan 24, '08, 1:49 am

I always prefer to play it on the actual handheld. The convenience of handheld's, "play it anywhere" traits make them very appealing to casual gamers and the hardcore as well. I always loved playing my Gamegear games at night through the power adapter (the batteries didn't last to long).

One thing I always wanted was a Sega Nomad. It was only released in North America and Japan and was essentially a portable Mega Drive. That would have been great! Has anyone here played it? I always wondered if the games played the same or suffered from some lag.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Jan 24, '08, 5:12 am

I think its rather lame for them to connect to a bigger screen. Sorta pointless if you bought the handheld.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby DrkTr14ce » Thu Jan 24, '08, 5:57 am

I beg to differ. But then again, I'm probably one of the 20 people who got the Gameboy Player. But it's mainly for my parents, who don't cope well at times with the GBA's tiny screen.

And while I'm at it, the PSP doesn't look half bad when running on a TV.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jan 24, '08, 6:11 am

I guess it's nice and convenient that they have those features for those who want or choose to use them. If it's handheld, though, I prefer to use it that way.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 24, '08, 9:29 pm

I've bene wanting to get a Gameboy Player for home play of my GBA games, but those things are hard to find now. The handheld machines are great for gaming on the go, but I do most of my playing at home and would rather see things on a bigger screen, where I can enjoy the nuances of the game more.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Celeith » Fri Jan 25, '08, 1:17 am

i use to just swipe my cousins GB player and attach it to my gamecube, but now that he's moved I can't play any of my old games anymore, unless I use emulation but sometimes i just don't want to do that.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Fri Jan 25, '08, 3:09 am

Reno wrote:One thing I always wanted was a Sega Nomad. It was only released in North America and Japan and was essentially a portable Mega Drive. That would have been great! Has anyone here played it? I always wondered if the games played the same or suffered from some lag.

I've never played one, but I've heard that they were a bit fragile. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but I've never heard of any lag when playing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jan 25, '08, 10:05 am

Reno wrote:One thing I always wanted was a Sega Nomad. It was only released in North America and Japan and was essentially a portable Mega Drive. That would have been great! Has anyone here played it? I always wondered if the games played the same or suffered from some lag.
Nope, there wasn't any lag at all. Was pretty cool to play PSIV on it. :)

Thoul wrote:I've never played one, but I've heard that they were a bit fragile. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but I've never heard of any lag when playing.
I dunno about other people, but ours was fragile. :knockout: Sucked when sometimes it'd reset if you happen to move the adapter cord the wrong way.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Reno » Fri Jan 25, '08, 9:15 pm

I thought it might suffer from some sort of hindrance, after all, its running games on a handheld that were originally meant to be played on a full-fledged home console. Still, it does sound great to be able to just lay in bed at night and have a go in 'Phantasy Star' under the covers. :wink:
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Return to Tech and Design