Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Re: Current Events - News Of The Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 6, '07, 7:03 pm

Tsunami wrote:On some program that was talking about Vlad III the Impaler (Vlad Dracul, or Dracula) and it said that he may have never drank blood at all; that may have been a rumor that his enemies spread to make him sound more monsterous. :p

However, he did do some very evil things. I can't say that I'd want to consider staying at his castle with that in consideration.

On a side note, the name Dracul meant dragon although his enemies thought it to mean devil. Pretty interesting stuff.

All I can say is that if it was just rumors spread by his enemies, those rumors worked! :yes: It's scary enough for me.

That is pretty neat about the name meaning "dragon" though. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :)
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 13, '07, 5:09 pm

I suppose the "news of the day" for today is that today is Friday the 13th!

So, how is everyone's day going today? Are you having a good day :up: or a bad day :down: ?

Anyone superstitious about Friday the 13th?

I always say it's good luck day as bad luck comes on other days as well, and then I forget about it! :wink: :lol:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 13, '07, 10:47 pm

I had no clue that it was Friday the 13th, though I knew it was Friday. :D So far, I'm having an awesome day, so no bad luck here. (I don't believe in it, but perhaps there's the feeling of good and bad fortune as either good or bad events can lead up to one another)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 14, '07, 2:28 am

I knew it was coming, but I completely forgot about it. I just look at it as any other day. I've never had any really bad luck on this day, or at least not more than on any other.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jul 15, '07, 1:07 am

I haven't notice it in the last decade. I make my own luck!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 17, '07, 1:22 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:
Tsunami wrote:On some program that was talking about Vlad III the Impaler (Vlad Dracul, or Dracula) and it said that he may have never drank blood at all; that may have been a rumor that his enemies spread to make him sound more monsterous. :p

All I can say is that if it was just rumors spread by his enemies, those rumors worked! :yes: It's scary enough for me.

I meant to reply to this, but I guess it didn't go through... anyway.

Wouldn't that be completely ironic? If his enemies spread those rumors to discredit him, then it's because of them that his name continues to live on and be famous even today. If not for that, none of us would know who he is and none of the vampire stories, movies, and so on might never have been created.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 20, '07, 3:31 am

Hey, what was up with those huge clouds of white smoke rushing up out of the ground in New York? I saw a clip of it on the news yesterday evening (or maybe that was today, I forget), but I never heard anything else about it. Did they ever find out what that was? It looked like something out of a disaster movie.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 20, '07, 6:14 pm

I think it was a steam pipe that busted or something like that. A terrorist attack of any type has been ruled out, I think. I heard them say that the pipe had been there since the 1920's sometime, so I guess it was due. I think several people were injured. It did look very bad with all that smoke rising from the ground and I couldn't help but think back to 9/ll and all the confusion and turmoil. That day will forever be with us no matter what else may happen. :(

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 20, '07, 11:07 pm

Wow, that's a pretty old pipe. It's a wonder that it hadn't busted already. I hope someone up there thinks to check on and replace any other pipes that old before they go, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 21, '07, 12:12 am

I hear ya, thoul! They would be smart to check those other pipes out just to be on the safe side after this incident.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events