Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 13, '07, 12:47 am

Aaaahh!! The Russians are steamrolling down the totalitarian road again. Did you know they nationalized the largest energy concerns again? I'm beginning to wonder if they ever actually left communism considering some of the news coming out of there. Killing journalists in public and demanding that emigrants in Britain give all their money to the Russian government is the stuff of nightmares. Then they went and bombed the Georgians... again. Then there's the fact that there is no system of checks and balances in Russia, so Putin doesn't answer to anyone. I don't like anything coming out of that situation.

As for their bomb: well, it's time for us to invent a bigger one in self-defense. We can't afford to fall behind in defense technology in comparison to a country that is openly hostile to our country. Our development of weapons can hardly be considered evil; having weapons doesn't mean you're going to use them. Weapons can be made for either defense, or aggression.

Another note of the day: evidently a Tropical Storm has blown up of nowhere barely off the coast of Houston and is strengthening at such a rapid rate that it may become a hurricane. Talk about a freak occurrence! My brother says that it was sunny only a few hours ago, but it's a gale now. Strange!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 13, '07, 4:46 pm

The Komrade wrote:We can't afford to fall behind in defense technology in comparison to a country that is openly hostile to our country.

I absolutely agree with you on this subject comrade. I don't like bombs and other weapons, etc., but we need to, and must be able to, defend ourselves from any attack or opponent if necessary.

The Komrade wrote:Another note of the day: evidently a Tropical Storm has blown up of nowhere barely off the coast of Houston and is strengthening at such a rapid rate that it may become a hurricane. Talk about a freak occurrence! My brother says that it was sunny only a few hours ago, but it's a gale now. Strange!

Yes, you were right again Komrade, this hurricane/tropical storm is the big news of the day for today, Thursday, as well. This was a bit of a surprise one. Hope your brother, and everyone else in the areas affected by this storm, come out of it okay. Lots of people without electrical power this morning there.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Sep 14, '07, 1:17 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:
The Komrade wrote:Yes, you were right again Komrade, this hurricane/tropical storm is the big news of the day for today, Thursday, as well. This was a bit of a surprise one. Hope your brother, and everyone else in the areas affected by this storm, come out of it okay. Lots of people without electrical power this morning there.
As strange as the development of that storm was, my brother called me at 3 A.M. and said that as the hurricane was making landfall that the wind wasn't even blowing nor was it even raining where he was, (20 miles NE of Galveston). Bizarre.

I've got another current event that I'm thrilled about: Google announced sponsorship of a new X Prize, this time offering a $30 Million reward for the first private group to get a robotic lander to the Moon! Hooray privatization! :up: :up:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Sep 14, '07, 6:52 pm

That's interesting news about Google, Komrade. :) Those folks are always doing something. It sounds like a fascinating competition is about to begin. :clap:

Speaking of robots, I heard on the news this morning where they have invented a "robot boy" that may soon be on the market. The robot is supposed to be "your friend" and he can walk, talk, and learn things. They told his name, but I forget what it was. I think it began with a "z". Robots will probably rule the world one day. :eyebrow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Atolm » Mon Sep 17, '07, 8:55 am

Ack! Just as the world has lost a great author of children's stories, now do we lose a Author of Epic Fantasy.

Robert Jorden, author of the book series Wheel of Time has passed away. What a sad month for books fans out there. =/
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 17, '07, 7:27 pm

Ah, that is very sad to hear the news of this other author's death. Thanks for letting us know, Atolm. Sending out condolences and sympathy to his family and friends. I'm not sure if I have read any of his books or not.

In other news, the BIG news of this past weekend and today seems to be the arrest of former football great / actor, O. J. Simpson, related to armed burglary charges, I think is what the news said. A hearing on this arrest has been postponed until Wednesday. Very surprising news. One would think that after all his previous troubles with the law, Mr. Simpson would do all in his power to stay out of trouble. Oh well....!

Also, The Emmy awards were last night and "The Sopranos" won the big award, I think. I've never watched that show - it must be good. Anyone else watch it? It seems actress Sally Field won an award and got "bleeped" in her speech as she said some unacceptable words. :misspeak: I saw the beginning of the show but not much of it later on. These awards shows are too long! :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 17, '07, 9:36 pm

That hurricane was weird. We got a fair bit of bad weather off it in my area. Nothing too drastic, but totally unexpected. I hope they weren't hit too hard in Texas.

Robert Jorden, author of the book series Wheel of Time has passed away. What a sad month for books fans out there. =/

Ah, that's bad. :( Did he ever finish his series? I started to read it one time, but I never got around to it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 17, '07, 11:43 pm

Secret_Surfer wrote:Very surprising news. One would think that after all his previous troubles with the law, Mr. Simpson would do all in his power to stay out of trouble. Oh well....!
:roll: That's why the majority of prisons are full of repeat offenders... there's no coming back from some crimes, like murder, despite what Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon say. OJ's behavior certainly gives his character in The Naked Gun movies a different feel... :o HE PLAYED A COP!?!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Sep 18, '07, 11:16 pm

I'm not sure if this should go here or in Ridiculous Item of the Day: So Andrei Lugovoi, the prime suspect in that poisoning business of Alexander Litvinenko a couple of months ago was chosen Monday at a Liberal Democratic Party congress to be second on the organization's list of candidates in upcoming elections to the State Duma, or lower house of Parliament. The vote was 148 in his favor, and only two against... even some going so far as to call him a national hero?!?!

Here's what that party's leader said at the announcement:

Appearing with Lugovoi at the news conference was party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who launched into a lengthy anti-British tirade when he was asked a question by VOA.

"Get out of here," shouted Zhirinovsky. "You Brits are spilling blood the world over! The whole world will hate you! Your country creates more provocations than any other. Terror? You create terror!"

Zhirinovsky, among other things, also accused Britain of such offenses as not honoring his diplomatic passport, of murdering Litvinenko, harboring criminals, provoking the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution and the Chechen War, and intentionally dragging out World War II in order to allow the * to kill millions of Soviet soldiers.

Zhirinovsky finished after nearly five minutes by accusing the entire British government and the Queen of England of criminality :? and threatening to throw this reporter out of Moscow.

It's time to sever diplomatic ties with people like this!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 19, '07, 7:08 pm

That is a very shocking and eye opening bit of news above Komrade. I had not heard that bit of news yet, so thanks for posting it and bringing it to our attention here.

It is hard to believe that any group of people would elect or even consider nominating someone who may have been alledgedly involved in a murder or other despicable acts, etc. This guy's talk sounds like a bunch of nonsense - only trouble is that he believes it and he will probably make others believe it also.

I tend to agree with you about severing those ties. The US has been friends with Britian, and vice versa, for a very long time and should condemn such talk as this. In short, this guy sounds like a nutcase and the world should be wary of him and anyone who follows after him, in my opinion. :eyebrow:

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events