Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Re: Current Events - News Of The Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 16, '07, 7:21 pm

Two sad events marr the news of today and yesterday, along with others that I haven't heard about yet, I'm sure.

Anyway, condolences go out to the families of Rev. Jerry Falwell (who died yesterday), and Yolanda King (Martin Luther King's oldest child and daughter - who has also died). May they rest in peace. :(
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Thu May 17, '07, 9:23 pm

I don't really know much about them, but I feel for their families. It's always hard to lose a loved lone.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 18, '07, 11:03 pm

Did anyone see the news coverage of Tony Blair's recent trip to meet with President Bush at the White House? Mr. Blair is the current Prime Minister of Britian, but will be stepping down from that position in a few weeks, I think it is. This was his last official visit to the White House.

Anyone have any views or opinions on Mr. Blair, his relationship with the United States, his stepping down from office, etc.?
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sat May 19, '07, 9:05 pm

I don't really have an opinion on the matter... I don't follow politics much.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Tue May 22, '07, 1:12 am

I guess he had an okay relationship with the US. I can't think of anything especially bad about it or him. Of course, I only barely know anything about him, since I am not up to date on UK news.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 31, '07, 5:49 pm

New Question:

What does everyone think of the situation with the guy that possibly has TB (tuberculosis) who they say made a trip overseas to get married and then flew back to the US and was quarantined at the CDC in Atlanta and has now been taken to Co. for treatment, etc.? Are you worried about possible health risks with this disease, and also are you concerned about the fact that he was able to get in and out of the country so easily it seems?
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Neithird » Thu May 31, '07, 10:31 pm

If it was that bad, he should have been quarantined before he had a chance to leave. Somebody dropped the ball on that one. I don't know what he was thinking either, jumping around to so many countries. He could have spread it to hundreds of people. He should have just come straight home and gotten treatment.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jun 1, '07, 1:14 am

I was watching the news yesterday in the morning, and a woman representing the health officials was trying to justify the actions, talking about they did the best they could without interfering with his rights...or whatever. Even though, in my opinion, the rights of the general health of the public should've been a higher priority.

Point is, he knew that he had this, they knew he had it, and yet they allowed him to travel. I think that the people who were responsible for him in the first place could've done a better job, since this is a deadly string of tuberculosis.

Who knows how many people this guy has come into contact with? He's lucky that his new wife and others who know him didn't catch this, since they have been tested. Let's hope that not many people become infected with this.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 1, '07, 5:27 pm

From what I saw on the news today, the guy is claiming that no one ever told him how bad it was or that he was contagious. I'm not sure if that's true or just a spin to make him look less guilty. Someone along the line definitely messed up.

He's lucky that his new wife and others who know him didn't catch this, since they have been tested.

I heard, on the news again, that someone can get it and not have it show up on tests for months. So, they could all be infected anyway. :(
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jun 1, '07, 5:50 pm

Well, I am just amazed at the fact that the guy may have TB and is already doing tv interviews from his room/beside or wherever, while wearing a mask, that is. I also saw some of that on the news this morning. That doesn't look very "contagious" to me. But then, what do I know???

I also heard on the news that he has relatives that somehow work for the CDC. Another weird co-incidence, I guess.

On the other hand, I can't much fault him for wanting to get back to the US for treatment. I can only imagine the possible treatment that he might be susceptible to in other places that may not have the technology, etc., that the US may have in order to deal with situations like this.

I wish him the best, I really do, and I really hope all those folks he came in contact with on planes, etc., turn out okay. I heard one of them on the news and he was rather upset, to put it mildly. :punch:
Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events