Expiration Dates

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Expiration Dates

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 14, '09, 7:34 pm

Most sold in stores these days comes with an expiration date. Sometimes it's "sell by" or "use by" or "best by." When you're buying food, do you check the dates a lot? If you've got something at home and it goes past the date, do you throw it out or still use it?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Expiration Dates

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Oct 14, '09, 8:08 pm

I try to be careful with this, seeing as how I got food poisoning from spoiled coffee cream about two weeks ago. :ill: But I don't always succeed. It depends on how old and I usually go by smell. If something is truly spoiled it usually won't smell right.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby PathfinderCS » Wed Oct 14, '09, 9:44 pm

My mother is an absolute stickler over this. If something is even a day old, it's gone. Honestly, I can't help but hold the same habits. :yes:
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Darkil » Thu Oct 15, '09, 1:35 pm

I absolutely go by this. I drank milk one time that went bad 3 days before the expiration date and I think I'd rather eat mud than go through that again. Sometimes I've eaten something that expired and it didn't effect me, but with all these diseases going around [i.e. e-coli in cookie dough] I don't take many risks when it comes involved with that.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 15, '09, 5:37 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else, I check the dates (or try to) on just about everything I buy. If it is past the date, I usually throw it away. If it is on the exact date or close, then before I buy I look for a later date. If it is at home and on the day of expiration, sometimes I smell it to see if it's okay and go buy that, for that day only. I've never been sick that I recall because of having something already expired, but that's because I try not to take a chance with it.

It's better to be safe than sorry later!
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Delectable Delicacies