Cosmic Star Heroine

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Cosmic Star Heroine

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Mon Mar 10, '14, 3:34 pm

Did a quick search of the site, but I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere here.

Anyway, have any of you been following the development of Cosmic Star Heroine? It's an indy RPG for PC, Mac, Linux, XboxOne, PS4, etc. The reason why I bring it up is that Phantasy Star is explicitly referred to as one of the inspirations for the game. Hell, the main character is named Alyssa L'Salle, after all.

Here's a link to the announcement (yeah, it's a bit old): http://zeboyd.com/2013/06/25/zeboyd-gam ... r-heroine/

They've got more stuff if you read their development blog, such as this battle engine screenshot: http://zeboyd.com/2014/03/06/cosmic-sta ... t-wip-2-0/
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Re: Cosmic Star Heroine

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 10, '14, 8:26 pm

I've never heard about it but I've taken a look at the article and it seems to be great :) I like the name of the Heroine ! And her design too so I'll try to follow this game :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 10, '14, 9:09 pm

Very interesting and thanks for the links. :) Terrific to see the Phantasy Star relation.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Mon Mar 10, '14, 10:11 pm

No problem. Oh, and I didn't notice that their main announcement page didn't mention the Phantasy Star connection. However, their Kickstarter page (they met their goal, so it is being made) does, along with a little trailer/making of video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... pc-mac-ps4

I quote from the page:

New turn-based RPG from the creators of Cthulhu Saves the World. Inspired by Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star & Suikoden. PC/Mac/PS4/Vita.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Wed Mar 12, '14, 9:24 pm

Inspired by Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star & Suikoden ? not bad references at all ! Great series ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Wed Mar 12, '14, 11:02 pm

Yeah, based on the screenshots, combat (and the general look of the sprites) looks Chrono Trigger-esque, whereas the setting is Phantasy Star-esque.

The coder also called out the Lunar games as an inspiration in one of his blog posts, at least with respect to how he wants the characters to be fleshed out.

Hey, this might be as close as we get to a real Phantasy Star V anytime soon, right? :)
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Mar 13, '14, 1:34 am

Citing Chrono Trigger, Suikoden and Phantasy Star as "influences" is just playing to the crowd (which is very useful when crowdfunding a game). The game is from Zeboyd. If it does not show a quantum leap in terms of quality from their previous works, expect a polished RPG Maker game.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 13, '14, 12:41 pm

TILINELSON : Maybe it's playing to the crowd but why note quote those influences if they are big fan of these games ? But really I don't know this Zeboyd developper so I can't really know about it... I haven't played their old games.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Thu Mar 13, '14, 1:59 pm

They have gone into detail in some of the blog posts about the influences of some of their games.

Also, they did claim that this is the first game they're making that is the game they've really wanted to make and put the resources into to "do it right." I think their other games typically only took a couple of months to develop, but they are putting something like 1.5 years into this one, based on when the kickstarter was announced and the release date (December 2014).

Of course, I won't pass final judgment until the game is done to see if it's a polished RPG Maker game or actually something comparable in quality to the 16-bit classics we know and love.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 13, '14, 8:31 pm

True that our final judgment will only be when the game is going to be relased and we hope that it's going to be a very good judgment :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to General Gaming