Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cooking Shows
PostPosted: Thu Nov 1, '07, 11:15 am 
Anyone like to watch cooking shows on TV? If so, what show(s) do you tune in for?

I usually avoid these types of shows, but there was one I enjoyed. It was on PBS years ago. The host was a cajun man (I can't recall his name) that loved to tell entertaining stories while he was cooking. I found most cooking shows boring at the time, but I always liked this one because the stories kept my interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 1, '07, 7:57 pm 
I love watching cooking shows on Food Network. :cloud9: Along my favorites are Good Eats, Unwrapped, Ace of Cakes, and...well, I do like the Food Network Challenges, where people compete for first place.

There's various other shows I like, and some chefs I can't tolerate since they'll go from making a dish that looks tasty to wrecking the said dish within a few minutes. :lol: I'm sure that Emeril's popular/famous as a great cook... But I honestly don't care for his cooking, as for the most part, it doesn't look very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 1, '07, 8:28 pm 
I don't make a point of watching any, but sometimes I will see one that looks interesting and stop to view it. Like the other day, I happened across a show with a segment that was explaining myths that happen in the kitchen. I forget what it was called, but that was really interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 1, '07, 9:00 pm 
I love cooking shows. I don't watch them much any more because the ones on now are boring, in my opinion. I used to be a particular favorite watcher of "The Frugal Gourmet" show. He usually had themed type shows and dishes and sometimes it featured different locations and a bit of history, etc. He also wrote several books with receipes, etc. His show went off the air several years ago and he has passed away now, I believe.

I also liked to watch a lady cook, I think her name was Natalie Dupree and she did "Southern" type cooking. Maybe from the "Southern Living" series of books, magazines, etc., but I'm not sure on that.

I also used to love to watch "Yan Can Cook". It was always good for a laugh. He was a pretty hyper chef.

Thoul, the man / cook you spoke of who was a cajun was named Justin Wilson. He was also good to watch. He was from Louisiana and loved that Louisiana Hot Sauce and all things cajun. Gotta give that man a lot of credit because after he cooked his food on the air, he also sat down and ate it. :proposetoast: I've never seen anyone else eat the food they cooked but he did. He has also passed away now, but there are probably reruns of his shows still being shown today.

I never did really like Julia Child all that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 2, '07, 12:19 am 
Oh, he's gone to the bayou in the sky, huh? That's too bad... he was a great storyteller. I'm not too surprised though. He was getting on in years even when I watched the show, and that's probably been more than ten years.

It is rare to see one of these chefs actually try their own dishes. I always liked that about him. It may have just been an excuse to drink some wine though, he loved to do that. :lol: I think he also cooked enough food to feed the entire audience, if I recall correctly.

Tsunami wrote:I'm sure that Emeril's popular/famous as a great cook... But I honestly don't care for his cooking, as for the most part, it doesn't look very good.

Yeah, I agree with that. I know I certainly wouldn't eat some of that stuff! :yuck:

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]