Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Computer problem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, '12, 3:12 am 
Alright, several days ago, I managed to get 40 GB of free space on my computer, which since then has slowly gone down to about 9 GB, and I don't know how it happened, because I ran virus scans constantly (with Norton AND AdAware) and didn't find anything, and all I've been downloading in the last few days is pictures which are only a few KB. What the heck is going on? Why is my free space decreasing for nothing?!

Last edited by MrKite on Thu Feb 23, '12, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Computer problem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, '12, 4:24 am 
Sounds like it might be a virus or malware to me, but you've checked that. You might try a couple of other malware scanners; in my experience, one program might miss an infection that another catches.

If you're using Windows, you can try to free up some disk space using the Disk Cleanup utility. It's usually in Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools. It will look for ways to clear out temporary and unnecessary files. Maybe that will help some.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 7, '12, 5:45 am 
Below are a bunch of programs that should help you out with your problem Kite. Hopefully anyway. They are all free programs too which is also a bonus.

If you have windows, I suggest using WinDirStat which is a disk usage program. Run it and it will tell you what is using up your computer space.

If you want to try a different virus scan, I highly recommend using TrendMicro Housecall. This is a free scan that searches for viruses, spyware, trojans, and other computer programs and attempts to fix them.

One thing you should try doing as well, that Thoul suggested is checking for Malware. I suggest using Malwarebytes. It should get rid of any Malware you have on your computer and also help protect your computer.

An alternative to help clear up space is to use a program called ccleaner which helps clean up space on your hard drive. It also has Registry Cleaner so you should run that as well as it can help clean up unused registries left over from unused programs. It does offer to make a backup of your registry files just in case it gets rid of something it shouldn't.

Hope you fix your computer problem Kite.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, '12, 1:32 am 
Have you noticed a decrease in bandwidth or a slowing of your PC? Are you using a wireless connection?

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]